Party Gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sauerj67

Reaction score
Good morning everyone
I am planing on home brewing a Oktoberfest beer this month to serve in October. The recipe that I have found is one ingredient different, torrified wheat, from a saison that I would also like to brew. So my question is could I increase the 5# of german pilsner to 9#, just to add some more sugars so I can collect the first gyle for the Oktober fest and the second for the saison? Or will that completely screw up my recipe.
October fest recipe: 5# german Pilsner, 5# German Munich, 1# Dark munich, .5# Weyermann Caramunch II.

Thank you

Without blending, you'll get at least 2/3 of the fermentables in your first "batch". My experience has been that I get even more.

Your idea will essentially work.
As pilgarlic says you will get around 65-70% of fermentables in the first runnings and the rest in the second runnings but through some quick math and some blending you should be able to get both worts to the OG you desire.
Also not sure how much the torrified wheat does but you could add it to the mash tun with the second running water and get most of the effect into the saison.

Back