PicoBrew Zymatic vs BrewEasy vs Braumeister

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthropod

Reaction score
I am so close to making a decision on my new brewing upgrades.

Currently brew with two cooler’s and a 10 Gallon Brewpot.
I built a brew stand that I like, but I’m tired of pumping the water up to the cooler and cleaning is not very easy as I don’t have a tub sink with easy access.

I have a Brewhemoth with a CIP system and a fermentation chamber so I’m good there.

I like variety, so I would like to brew a lot!

So…..

Option A:
Purchase:
Picobrew Zymatic http://www.picobrew.com
A few 2.5 Gallon Kegs and some more 5 Gallon Kegs for fermentation
A new 20 Gallon Brew Pot and and burner and delegate my old brew pot to HLT so I can do big batches if I want.

Option B:
Purchase:
Blichman Breweasy (Electric) 10 Gallon Size http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/breweasy

Option C:
Purchase:
Speidels Braumeister (50-Liter Size) http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/20-and-50-litre-braumeister.html

Decisions Decisions.. Any thoughts?

I'm not going to give you the answer you want but I'll tell you my thought.
I am waiting for my Braumeister to come in. Ordered it last week. Looked at the others you mentioned and I just think I made the right choice. It's the 20L for the main reason of getting the small one. I cannot lift the big stuff.
I have been brewing for just under six years. Turkey frier, cooler and large pot. Moving buckets around, sparging into a bucket half way and dumping it into the BK and then finish the sparge. I just have a hard time (along with a back problem) that keeps me from doing a lot of things.
I even made a keggle once so I could do 10 gallon batches. Did three or four and went back to 5 gallon batches just because it was easier to handle. I know it takes more time to do two five gallon batches then one ten gallon, but I cannot lift it soooo...

Waiting for my Braumeister.....

I'm not going to give you the answer you want but I'll tell you my thought.
I am waiting for my Braumeister to come in. Ordered it last week. Looked at the others you mentioned and I just think I made the right choice. It's the 20L for the main reason of getting the small one. I cannot lift the big stuff.
I have been brewing for just under six years. Turkey frier, cooler and large pot. Moving buckets around, sparging into a bucket half way and dumping it into the BK and then finish the sparge. I just have a hard time (along with a back problem) that keeps me from doing a lot of things.
I even made a keggle once so I could do 10 gallon batches. Did three or four and went back to 5 gallon batches just because it was easier to handle. I know it takes more time to do two five gallon batches then one ten gallon, but I cannot lift it soooo...

Waiting for my Braumeister.....

I have the same setup. Lifting buckets for a five gallon batch is enough for me too. Got a new burner and it kept going out on me until i was able to get it dialed in. This meant removing the pot multiple times. PITA.

I have also been looking at the different systems and have been leaning towards braumeister myself as well. It might take another year until I can pull the trigger.

The reasons for me anyway are: smaller footprint and no hoses to deal with.

I find my choices for easy brewing setups get more difficult after the Picobrew. Is there anything more simple and automated than Picobrew?

Just wanted to give folks an update to my situation.

1. I spent three months turning a garage bay into a home brewery. I am very pleased with it.

During my construction/design phase, I evaluated the three brewing systems. First I would like to say I am impressed with what all three can do. I think all three systems are great. (The High Gravity system also looked good that BigJack mentioned)

2. For me, it came down to workflow, capacity, and the level of automation I was looking for. While looking at the systems I discovered that the braumeister was also getting a new control panel for 2015. So... I chose the braumeister.

Last Saturday was the first time I was able to brew in a few months as I was working on my brewing space. With the new digs and the new system it was a fantastic brewing experience. I have now brewed twice on the braumeister and let me tell you that both times have been great. I believe it has been the first time I have hit my OG's without fuss. I was shooting for 1.044 on one and ended up at 1.045 without any adjustments. (I went with it of course.)

I can't say enough about the quality of the Braumeister. It's fit and finish is flawless. The control panel is user friendly and if it can be updated like some are suggesting, it could be perfect with just a few tweaks. My only issue is a "me" issue and that is getting used to working in metric measurements.

iGuab - 1.jpg

iGuab - 2.jpg

iGuab - 3.jpg

iGuab - 4.jpg

I've been waffling over this as well. I'm thinking PicoBrew. I like the ease and the capacity. If I want a 5 gallon batch, I can simply do so 2 evenings in a row; racking the first in a large enough fermenter for both and letting the yeast get started.

Now it's a matter of funding. I'd sell off my 50L conical, 36L false bottom mash tun, 36L kettle/HLT with stainless HERMS coil and 4500W element, my kettle controller from High Gravity, March pump and maybe 4-5 cornies. But even parting with all that, I won't fully offset the price of a PicoBrew. So I'll continue as is until I get some home projects done first.

Don't sell the cool stuff off! I kept my system so I could do large batches. Time will tell if i make many large batches. But, it's great to have that option. I have done two 20l brews in less than a week. I think I'll brew tomorrow. Besides don't get rid of the Kegs you'll need them for the picobrew.

I hear you, but I've been favoring 2-4 gallon batches for the past year. All my recent 8-10 gallon batches were then split into 2-3 different fermenters with different flameout hops or yeasts. I could just as easily done the same thing as separate batches.

I have (10) 5gal cornies and (2) 3gallon. I could stand parting with a few 5s. I'd pick up more 3s later.

I would definitely cringe at the lousy price I'd probably get for each compared to what I originally put into it all the past couple years.

As I said though, I have plenty more time to ponder it all while the honey-do list shrinks.

Any more updates? I'm still on the fence...but more or less still working on the wife to say "yes" to me spending $2K on a new toy. :)

Hauling/cleaning...ah, you know the deal, is getting to me.

Post more pics:mug:

Just wanted to give folks an update to my situation.

1. I spent three months turning a garage bay into a home brewery. I am very pleased with it.

During my construction/design phase, I evaluated the three brewing systems. First I would like to say I am impressed with what all three can do. I think all three systems are great. (The High Gravity system also looked good that BigJack mentioned)

2. For me, it came down to workflow, capacity, and the level of automation I was looking for. While looking at the systems I discovered that the braumeister was also getting a new control panel for 2015. So... I chose the braumeister.

Last Saturday was the first time I was able to brew in a few months as I was working on my brewing space. With the new digs and the new system it was a fantastic brewing experience. I have now brewed twice on the braumeister and let me tell you that both times have been great. I believe it has been the first time I have hit my OG's without fuss. I was shooting for 1.044 on one and ended up at 1.045 without any adjustments. (I went with it of course.)

I can't say enough about the quality of the Braumeister. It's fit and finish is flawless. The control panel is user friendly and if it can be updated like some are suggesting, it could be perfect with just a few tweaks. My only issue is a "me" issue and that is getting used to working in metric measurements.

First brew on my 50L Braumeister.

Look at the clarity.

I debated the same systems as you, but cleaning one pot instead of three made this a winner in my book. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the long update...didn't see my notice. After having it for well...7+ Months.. I am still super pleased. I love the control's, Cleanup is a breeze, and it makes stellar wort. I can't say enough good things about it.

Back