Picture worth thousand words - new brewer looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CH1258

Reaction score
Patience is word I see in many threads. First batch in 15 years. Only handful prior to last. SG 1054, ending 1010. Right on numbers in one weeks' time. Supposed to be Kolsch kit. No active bubbling in ferm for few days. Slightly fruity with very light sour aftertaste. Hmmm.. where could I have gone wrong? Of the 12 (1) liter bottles only 4 show active Co2. Planning on letting all sit for 3 weeks and chilling to drop obvious sediment out. Yeast (?) ring at top beer line, lots of trub/yeast forming on bottom of bottles. My guess I should have waited couple more weeks to bottle? Thoughts?

Attachments

• Beer .jpg
    Beer .jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 33
Many ales are done in a week or less when everything is done more or less right. But impossible to say if it was actually done based on a picture and a report that the airlock stopped bubbling. If you don't want to get two gravity measurements (a couple days before bottling and on bottling day) to confirm the beer is done I'd give the batches a longer time in primary and that can fail if you get a contamination.

The sour taste is probably yeast in suspension like you can see in that picture. Give it time and it will drop out. To be careful I'd box these up and store them in a closet or room nobody uses. Wait three weeks then test one for carbonation level. If its ok you are good, if it seems high get them all chilled and then relieve some pressure with the swing caps.

For bottled homebrew don't try to push the timelines so much. Patience is a virtue.

Kolsch Yeast (my personal favorite is GigaYeast 021) has lovely white wine slightly tart esters, so what you taste may actually be appropriate to style. I agree with @eric19312 and personally would leave it 2 weeks without touching it. And many kolsch yeasts really shine with a little time in cold storage, pseudo laggered to really brighten/clear them up.

Back