Pictures of your Hop Babies/Hop Photo Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cascade is starting to flower!
P1010111.JPG

P1010113.JPG

There is little or no evidence for hop vernalization, at least that's the opinion of the folks at the High AA program at OSU.

Makes sense to me, just sharing what I've read. I guess I'm more lucky than most here, as I have a home, I don't sweat the little things, and just let them grow every year.

No pic update yet but I just got home from a 5 day vacation to find the tallest one in this pic made it up to the second story gutter and has a ton of cones on it. It's the Chinook and I'm psyched to see what the harvest is going to be. I guess NJ really is the garden state...unless you're in Camden or Newark.
hops08midjune3.jpg

News so good you had to post twice? :) j/k I'd love to see the root system inside those 1/2 barrels. I bet by the end of the summer you'll have more roots than dirt!

I wish I could post an update like Bobby. All three of mine have ceased growing. They are green, look healthy, but none will grow past about 12 inches. They just... sit there. Frozen in time.:drunk:

I wish I could post an update like Bobby. All three of mine have ceased growing. They are green, look healthy, but none will grow past about 12 inches. They just... sit there. Frozen in time.:drunk:

It's only been 3-4 days since you did the stick thing correct? And you wrapped them clockwise around the stick(s)? If so I'd give it another day or two before getting worried. But I'd seriously look at the growing points closely. It's possible something nibbled them (or disease) and that will kill the growth (except you would then see side shoots probably start to grow off the highest leaves). If you can grab a closeup picture maybe someone will spot something. Sorry to hear it's not working out so far but the season is still young!

It's only been 3-4 days since you did the stick thing correct? And you wrapped them clockwise around the stick(s)? If so I'd give it another day or two before getting worried. But I'd seriously look at the growing points closely. It's possible something nibbled them (or disease) and that will kill the growth (except you would then see side shoots probably start to grow off the highest leaves). If you can grab a closeup picture maybe someone will spot something. Sorry to hear it's not working out so far but the season is still young!

I guess it has been only 4 days or so since I put the little sticks on them. Although the Centennial is about 2 inches tall and never got any bigger. I just have been shocked by some other first year growths compared to mine. The one in the early pictures from weeks ago is still the same length! I will wait another week then take new pics. Maybe from all the damn rain it messed with them! :mug:

Rain can definitely be a HUGE factor in growth. Too little and, duh, but too much can be just as damaging. When the soil is saturated for a long time the oxygen that normally diffuses into the root zone can't get through the wet soil easily. This causes anaerobic conditions as the aerobic bacteria use up the available oxygen. In short periods this doesn't have much affect, but prolonged water-logging can be damaging, which among other things can lead to root rot. If you don't have a great drainage setup (heck even if you do), I would take a 12" narrow stake and poke the ground AROUND the rhizome(s) to a depth of 8-12". This will allow for some oxygen to get down to the roots and as importantly help with the drying as the moisture can evaporate faster.

I bet this is the problem, if the rain holds off for a while you should start to see some explosive growth. I know my bines grew really slow until they hit 8-12", then it was like I shot them with steroids...

Rain can definitely be a HUGE factor in growth. Too little and, duh, but too much can be just as damaging. When the soil is saturated for a long time the oxygen that normally diffuses into the root zone can't get through the wet soil easily. This causes anaerobic conditions as the aerobic bacteria use up the available oxygen. In short periods this doesn't have much affect, but prolonged water-logging can be damaging, which among other things can lead to root rot. If you don't have a great drainage setup (heck even if you do), I would take a 12" narrow stake and poke the ground AROUND the rhizome(s) to a depth of 8-12". This will allow for some oxygen to get down to the roots and as importantly help with the drying as the moisture can evaporate faster.

I bet this is the problem, if the rain holds off for a while you should start to see some explosive growth. I know my bines grew really slow until they hit 8-12", then it was like I shot them with steroids...

Thanks Enigma, I appreciate the detailed help. I have had a slight feeling to much water was the issue. I am going to take your advice and try to aerate down around the rhizomes tonight.

Thanks! :mug:

Meh, I think I'll just wait till next year. I'm too late, and I've been extremely busy with golfing, brewing and working anyways. The hops sound like they need a moderate amount of tending. First year brewer. I'll make next year my first year hop grower.

Meh, I think I'll just wait till next year. I'm too late, and I've been extremely busy with golfing, brewing and working anyways. The hops sound like they need a moderate amount of tending. First year brewer. I'll make next year my first year hop grower.

Obviously I should not be the one giving advice on hops. BUT.... I don't feel if you "can" get rhizomes still that it would be too late to at least get them established for next year. I mean if planted today you would still have a few months of warm growing season left to get their roots spreading.

There is no time like the present. I'd be willing to bet you can plant something by about Sept and still get enough root growth for next year, not really knowing much about your local climate however. If you can find rhizomes, just dig a hole, stick em in and wait. Plants just want to grow man.

I wish I could find some more....I have space and can plant. I wish I could find 2 more Cascades to replace my DOA ones and I think I need 2 Centennials too

I wish I could find some more....I have space and can plant. I wish I could find 2 more Cascades to replace my DOA ones and I think I need 2 Centennials too

Freshhops has some Kent Golding rhizome's left. I planted one, not a bad hop really!

Late-June update... Holy Chinook. Does anyone else have major cone growth going on already? This is my first attempt at growing and I'm phyched and anxious that I pull this off correctly. I'm supposed to wait until the lupilin builds up in the cones and the tips start to slightly brown right?

hop08midjunechinookcones.jpg

hop08midjunechinookcones2.jpg

This is the Fuggle and it's just getting started.
hops08midjunefugglebuds.jpg

Damn it Bobby! This is my first year too! And I am still stuck with 6 inches of growth! You guys are doing awesome! :drunk:

And just FYI for those who know my address. I have a firearm and several key vantage points overlooking the crop ;-)

are your chinook's first year? My leaves are huge and no flowers yet on them or the fuggle.....my Chinook is 16' tall, Fuggle stopped around 8'

The chinook anf fuggle are second year. Ryan_PA got them started last year in what looked like 3 gallon pots. When I transplanted this Spring into the 30 gallon barrels, the roots were a little compacted but not bad.

Right now I'd estimate the chinook at 22' and the fuggle at 16-17'.

Glad to see they are taking off for you Bobby. Believe it or not, the Chinook left an offspring in my wife's flower pot that was next to the plant, so I have something to start with when we find the new house.

It's just an eyehook with lag threads. Drilled a starter hold into the facia board and screwed it in. I still wish I accounted for lowering the twine down for harvesting. I'll just have to get my extension ladder out and keep it chained to something heavy.

Why dont you just put a pulley on the eyehook, and tie off the tops of the rope to a string, and use it to lower the rig at harvest?

Its been easily 45-50 days now and still nothing going on. My Kents got going first and stopped at about 12 inches of growth. Then comes my Willamette which got a little more "bushy" but still is only 8 inches long. And the Centennial only got about 3 inches tall. All have ample support to train up the line. And they all look green and healthy! They just aren't GROWING! I am going to take pictures tonight to show everyone, but they look fairly normal. Any ideas on how to kick start the growth?

Here are my hops, unfortunately as you can tell they are confined to my tiny porch now that I moved and they arent getting the good light they were getting previously.

hops.jpg

Why dont you just put a pulley on the eyehook, and tie off the tops of the rope to a string, and use it to lower the rig at harvest?

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that even without the pulley. I'd climb up, cut the sisal loop at the top and tie off a string that goes through the eyehook and down to the ground to be tied to a cleat. I guess getting the ladder out once beats doing it over and over.

Don't have any room to spare, and get minimal light so this is the best I could do. My dad has my Chinook and Mt. Hood, he has the yard for it.

These were taken a week ago (I think) and are more than twice this height. :rockin:

100_2079.jpg

Cascade
100_2078.jpg

Hallertau
100_2077.jpg

3 of mine have not popped the surface out of the other 13 the range form 2 feet high down to little sprouts. Talk about inconsistant!

I'll post pics when they grow more.

Do Ants eat hop leaves? I see some holes in my leaves and lots of Ants around.

the trellis is a 30 year old cascade crown that i split in half and its getting lots of cones forming already. the small vine is magnum and the larger one is nugget.

SNC11164.jpg

SNC11168.jpg
[/IMG]
SNC11170.jpg
[/IMG]
SNC11174.jpg
[/IMG]

It's amazing how nice so many people's plants are looking. With mine, what doesn't look sickly gets chewed up on a daily basis. Don't you people have insects where you live? ;)

Geez Ben, I know you said your Cascade crown was throwing cones but c'mon. If you weren't married to my daughter I'd probably feel like kicking your butt for making my hops look puny. Hell even your first years look good........

At my place the Cascade is still the best looking and probably about 6'. The Centennial is at about 5' and the EKG and Magnums are still less than 3'.

Well my plants have had a rough first year. The shed that the twine is mounted to has a family of woodchucks living under it. Well the two baby ones dug a mini hole right up into my garden. luckily they have not eaten either bine but they kick all my mulch out of the bed for some reason. Then we had some nasty hail, took off a few leaves. The combo of rain for 4 days straight then sunny and hot for 5 days with no rain, is not the best combo.
P6220035.JPG

My Magnum, coming along slowly, missing a few leaves from the hail, only one bine came up, Yes I know I need to get in there and do some weeding.
P6220036.JPG

My Centennial, a little over 7 ft tall, some really big leaves. looks heathly except for a few bottom leaves that are yellow, is that over watering?

Back