Pilsen DME and boil times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJL531

Soon to be exploring the US, one beer at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do I have to do those 90 minute boils when I use a pilsen DME or LME extract?

I do a lot of 3 gallon 30 minute boils with LME and DME with great success and I recently bought some Briess pilsen extract and thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Nope!

Extracts are made from wort that's been adequately boiled already, at the maltsters.
You don't even need to boil extracts at all. But you could, for some extra caramelization changing the flavor (a little).

You can boil half the extract (with your hops), and add the balance at flameout. Then keep it at (or above) 170F for 10-15 minutes to pasteurize it, although that's not even needed in most cases.

I looked back at my notes on the 18+ brews I made over the last 2 years. Close to half were kits and I've done equal numbers of all grain and extract. Some of best I have made were small batch extract beers. I'd rather force down 2.5 gallons a adequate beer than toss 5 gallons of not so good stuff. I am waiting for the LME and DME order I placed last week to arrive and then I'll get at my stove top extract brews again. I have a ton of hops in small quantities, 2oz cans from Yakima Hops, so I have a lot of experimenting with hops I have never used. Thanks for those podcasts!

Back