pilsen vienna and crystal....what hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliBrew

Reaction score
I got about 7 pounds of pilsen, 3 pounds vienna, and half of 60L crystal. What hops would go good with this bill, style of beer? thanks

Any German/Austrian noble hop -- Hallertaur, Tettnang, Spalt, Saaz -- or their equivalents, like Mt. Hood, Crystal, Perle, Hersbrucker, Liberty, Tradition, et al. Looks like you've got the makings of a fine Vienna lager or other European amber lager or bock.

A Marzen style would be nice, and probably work. Tettnang and Hallertau in that case.

If you are curious, this is the Vienna lager that is currently in the fridge. It creates a cerveza-style Vienna lager much like a Negra Modelo but a little richer. Note that the grain bill is nearly identical to the one you posted, aside from the crystal.

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - [url]http://www.beersmith.com[/url]
Recipe: Vienna Lager Test Batch 4
Brewer: Chad
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Vienna Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 7.73 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
6 lbs 8.0 oz  Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)             Grain        60.10 %       
3 lbs         Vienna Malt (4.0 SRM)                     Grain        27.74 %       
1 lbs         Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)                    Grain        9.25 %        
3.0 oz        Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)                       Grain        1.76 %        
1.0 oz        Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)           Grain        0.58 %        
1.0 oz        Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)                Grain        0.58 %        
2.00 oz       Tettnang [3.20 %]  (60 min)               Hops         26.1 IBU      
1.00 oz       Tettnang [3.20 %]  (10 min)               Hops         2.6 IBU       
0.55 tsp      Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)            Misc                       
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min)          Misc                       
2.00 gm       Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)  Misc                       
4.00 gm       Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min)          Misc                       
3 Pkgs        Mexican Lager (White Labs #WLP940)        Yeast-Lager                

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.82 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
75 min        Mash In            Add 16.00 qt of water at 164.2 F    150.0 F       

Cooled wort to 45º and racked off the cold break before pitching yeast.
Fermented at 50º for about two weeks then pulled it out for a diacetyl rest
letting it rise slowly to 64º and finish fermenting over three days. It will go 
another two weeks on the yeast at 36º to 38º before being racked to a keg 
and carbonated.

Hmm, i dont have a way presently to lager it? How necessary is it to taste with kolsh yeast?

Any other thoughts if lagering isnt an option. How difference is the taste if i use pilsen for a replacement of 2 row?

It would probably work pretty darn well with kolsch yeast if you have a way to ferment on the cooler side, say 60º to 62º or so. Do you have a way to put your fermentor in a water bath and keep it cool with frozen water bottles? That's the method I use for cool fermented ales. A couple of gallons of water makes a remarkable temperature stabilizer. I can keep my temps within a couple of degrees just by changing water bottles once or twice a day.

Heck, it would probably be fine in the mid to high 60s but I tend to like my beers on the crisp and clean side.

Latest posts

Back