pitching on a yeast cake, help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
I've a batch on the go at the moment (just waiting for the immersion chiller to work its magic). I was going to put this onto a yeast cake of another (same lager) brew that i've moved to secondary. The first batch that generated the cake was only about 5 gallons but this latest one is more like 6.
Anyway i was wondering if my latest batch comes above the height of the debris ring (all the funky stuff) will it give this new batch a real bad taste or not.
Any fast responses would be welcomed!!

Never hurt my last brew. If you feel like that will be a problem, then why not just take a mess of slurry from the bottom of your primary into a sanitized jar, clean out your fermenter, sanitize the fermenter and pitch it into your new wort.

Im naturally a bit lazy so the idea of cleaning and sanitising the primary ain't appealing at all it, kind of defeats the purpose a bit. If you've done the same thing and there was no ill affect thats good enough for me :fro: .
Thanks

the yeast cake has only been sitting for a few hours! I've read it a few times that the crusty ring contains incredibly bitter compounds. I was wondering if having my latest brew above this level would cause those bitter compounds to be absorbed into the beer. But boo boo reckons it shouldn't be a prob so maybe its a bit overplayed about the bitterness.

delboy said:
Well its in there now so i guess i am going to find out one way or the other.

Use a blowoff tube. I am on SWMBOs list right now because my Barley Wine I racked to the yeast cake yesterday exploded while I was out today and she had to clean it up. It started very slowly and then just took off like gangbusters this morning about 16 hours afterwards.

Latest posts

Back