Please Tell me about my water report!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
So i got a ward labs water test for my soon to be new home, it is well water. This stuff makes my head spin a little so I'm hoping someone can give me the cut n dry how is my water quality? What do I need to do to brew with it? I currently treat my water with campden tablets and balance ph with lactic acid. But this new water is a little different than my current city water.

Attachments

• Water1_20180213.pdf
    75.6 KB · Views: 68
Very nice water sans for alkalinity. Actual SO4 = 51 ppm

The only thing I would most typically do is add 1.4 to 1.5 mL per gallon of 88% lactic acid to tame the alkalinity. Though for the likes of stouts or porters I would only add 1 mL of 88% lactic acid per gallon, as for those you will need some alkalinity to counter the acidity of the dark malts and grains.

Looks good. Managing the alkalinity with acid addition will be necessary. That water is fairly well mineralized and you may find that the water is a little too assertive in delicate styles. That water would also be easy to soften by pre-boiling and decanting.

Thanks guys that helps a lot. I do have the bru-n-water spreadsheet so I'll plug in all my numbers and do a little reading.. I'm glad to hear it's usable water. Interested to see the effects on my brews

Back