Porter recipe-need suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mysticmead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
here's a recipe I was putting together for an Oatmeal Porter but need a suggestion for the yeast. I prefer Whitelabs but Wyeast is my second choice. I'm wanting to end up with a porter with a nice chewy mouth feel and more on the malty side than hoppy.

Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 27.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.26 %
1 lbs Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
12.0 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) Grain 6.52 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.52 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (25 min) Hops 11.0 IBU

WLP001 will work fine but WLP002 makes a very nice english style porter. You might need to up the IBU to 32-35 though because it does finish a bit higher.

In my first porter (a honey porter) I used 6oz Crystal Malt 40L, 5oz Black Malt (SRM 500), and 5oz Cara-Pils... With Northern Brewer (48 minute boil) and Fuggles (8 minute boil)... It was an extract brew, and came out pretty damn good (I added more DME and honey to it to make it more my own).

I've not used (or have any reference material on) Caraaroma... How about using flaked oats instead of malted oats?

I would say go for a full 10 pounds of 2 Row since you can often get 10 pound bags for the same rate as 8 pounds when measured out.

Since you're using UK hops, how about using UK 2 Row too?

In my last porter (a honey vanilla porter) I used Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale (http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=6)... I'm planning on washing and retaining the yeast from that brew (still in primary, but racking this weekend to the vanilla bean). That yeast took off like a rocket (used a starter) blowing through the airlock in about 6-7 hours (had to install a blow-off tube at that point for a couple of days)... Since your OG isn't above 1.060, a starter probably won't be needed. Unless you actually use 10 pounds of 2 Row and get better than 75% efficiency in your process... Probably wouldn't hurt to make a small starter (1/2 gallon or so) just to be safe.

I reccomend Northern brewer NeoBritania for this porter. I also recommend toasting the oats in the oven to get a toasty flavor to bring out the "oatmeal" flavor. Maybe even add a touch of cinnamon at bottling time to taste.

As for hops I love using Fuggles or williamette for porters for the flavor additions and I usually use a cascade or chinook as my bittering additions. I typically like my porters on the hoppier side but malty porters are to be respeceted as well.

You could always dry hop with an ounce of a low aa hop to give it a nice but not over powering hop aroma.

I use WLP002 for my porter and get great results. I just brewed a batch today. I get ~80% attenuation out of it with 153 mash temp, O2 aeration, a right sized starter and 64F fermentation temp.

I'm tweaking this batch to get a touch less attenuation and a bit less of the fruity nose this yeast has. I mashed at 155 and I'll ferment at 62.

I'm trying out a porter or stout with WL's 037, Yorkshire Squares. It's their seasonal release, and I hear good things about it.

Back