Possible bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rys06Tbss

Reaction score
So yesterday I bottled my second batch of BM's centennial blonde. I always put at least one beer on a plastic miller bottle so I can check for carbing. I bottled 4.5 gallons with 4 oz of priming sugar. Instead of using Nottingham ale yeast, I used wyeast 3724. It sat in my 75-80 degree garage for about 3 weeks, fermentation was stalled at 1.035for two weeks or so which is normal for this yeast strain. I began to be impatient and pitched champaign yeast on the 3rd week. It's 5 weeks old and I bottled. Today I checked the bottle and found it to be firm already. I cracked one open and had a gusher. Granted this was a warm beer. Should I be at all concern?

1.015 is kind of high for that strain. It is typical to very slowly get down below 1.010 but takes time, sometimes a month, especially if it stalled,

My Saison stalled at 1.030 and then finished at 4 weeks at 1.004!

Ideally this should have been raised to like 90 and given time to finish.

As for bottle bombs, don't know but a warm, semi-carbonated beer can easily gush. Throw one in the fridge for a few days and try again:)

Maybe gushed was an understatement. I'm talking about 3 or 4 seconds of my hand covered in foam type gushing. Like 3/4 of a bottle remaining.

Rys06Tbss said:
Maybe gushed was an understatement. I'm talking about 3 or 4 seconds of my hand covered in foam type gushing. Like 3/4 of a bottle remaining.

The most likely cause is due to the beer being warm. Without it being chilled most of the co2 generated was occupying the headspace. By chilling the beer it makes the co2 more soluble to the beer. Try chilling one for a day and see if you don't get better results. When you open warm the gas rapidly pushes out the bottle and any co2 in solution leaves suspension rapidly causing the foaming you mentioned. I think you'll be ok if you give it proper time to chill. Just my $.02

I'm slightly concern about the champaign yeast falling asleep then waking back up rapidly when I carbed. My plastic bottle is pretty hard aready

I am not sure but I would carefully check another bottle in a few days before getting too concerned. As I understand it the co2 builds up pressure, then, it goes into solution. Also cooling has an effect on getting the co2 into solution.

So what you made was a Centennial Blonde Saison?

I too would have expected the combination of 3724 and champagne yeast to take the FG lower.

I think overall you'll be OK. You used the right amount of priming sugar, so I tend to feel like if you get it nice and cold it'll be fine.

I guess you could call it that. It's really good. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid now that I have 15 gallons of beer being primed in the same spot. I have one chilling in the freezer right now, hopefully that would lead to disaster, I do think ill just throw some in my beer fridge in a rubber maid to be on the safe side.

I threw one in the freezer for 20 min. Videoed opening it hoping to show crazy carbonation and it was totally fine, I feel I'm being overly paranoid now. I think I'll be alright, unfortunately I have drinken 5 of these things now in the last 2 hours. Lol. I really need to start kegging...

Back