Power Outage... Delayed wort chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
Rainy day... so I bagged the honey dew list and started a batch of homebrew.

About 30 minutes into the 90 minute boil, there's a little thunder and the power goes out. I'm OK because I'm boiling with propane in the garage.

At the end of the boil, still no lights. I have a well. No power = no water to cool the wort.... so I decide RDWHAHB. I put a cover on the keggle and pour myself a beer, take a little nap and ninety minutes later Ready Kilowatt restores my power.

I cool as usual with my immersion cooler and its into the primary. Pitched Nottingham and its bubbling away within 3 hours.

What kind of issues might I expect due to the extended cooling time?

TIA

I don't have as many brews under my belt as you do, or others, but I would not worry too much about the delay in cooling. Yes that COULD pose a risk of nasties growing in the wort, but if you covered it and it was only about two hours after the boil then I think you did everything right considering. Like you said RDWHAHB

Depending on your recipe, you could get some DMS. You will know by the cream corn aroma & flavor.

I would have just brought it back to a boil after the power came back on to kill anything that might have gotten in and then chilled.

Rainy day... so I bagged the honey dew list and started a batch of homebrew.

About 30 minutes into the 90 minute boil, there's a little thunder and the power goes out. I'm OK because I'm boiling with propane in the garage.

At the end of the boil, still no lights. I have a well. No power = no water to cool the wort.... so I decide RDWHAHB. I put a cover on the keggle and pour myself a beer, take a little nap and ninety minutes later Ready Kilowatt restores my power.

I cool as usual with my immersion cooler and its into the primary. Pitched Nottingham and its bubbling away within 3 hours.

What kind of issues might I expect due to the extended cooling time?

TIA

What were you making. An APA with steeped hops would have been outstanding(see my Fat Owl recipe)

What were you making. An APA with steeped hops would have been outstanding(see my Fat Owl recipe)

Wish I'd thought of leaving the hops in to steep, but I really expected the power to come back on shortly

I don't have the exact recipe with me, but it was an experiment to make a lighter color, dry "summer" IPA. And I was all out of pale ale malt. So it was something like this:

8 # pilsner malt
.5 # Vienna
1.5 # Munich
1# corn sugar
.75 Galena @ 60
.75 EKG @ 30
. 50 Cascade @ 15
.50 Cascade @ 1

90 minute boil, batch sparge, Nottingham yeast

Latest posts

Back