Priming Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andylegate

Reaction score
Took a sample of my Chocolate Cherry today to get a hydro reading. Beer has already been racked to secondary, for several days. Here's the thing. When I took the sample, it foamed up and gave me a beautiful brown head.........
It's nice and flat in the carboy, no foam at all.
Now I'm all set to bottle it in a few days, using corn sugar to prime it. Am I setting my self up for popping bottle caps?

Nope, you just experienced out-gassing. Yeast do not crap out big-ass bubbles of carbon dioxide. Most of the crapping is done in very small amounts...probably small enough for the CO2 to dissolve in your beer. The slightest disturbance will cause the CO2 to come out of suspension.

Very normal. Racking to your bottling bucket will cause a lot of out-gassing. So will bottling. You will be just fine and it's not a significant amount of carbonation.

So what were your grav. readings.

I didn't have a hydrometer when I started this batch, but according to beertools.com the suggested OG was to be about 1.084 or so. The FG was 1.024 and holding steady for almost a week now.

If the OG you stated is accurate then you are at about 70% attenuation. With a beer that big I would not be in a hurry to bottle it just yet. I think it would benefit greatly from some extended conditioning in the secondary before bottling to mellow some and allow the flavors to blend together a little. Just my 2¢.

John

Back