Priming sugar- Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louz

Reaction score
When using a priming calculator to determine the amount of priming sugar needed before bottling, which temperature do you use? The fermentation temp, current temp at the time of bottling, or the temp at which the bottles will be conditioning?
And how does cold crashing effect this?

As a side note, I find it odd that every recipe kit I have seen to this point, all say to use all 5 oz of corn sugar... which has been more than needed for those recipes.

If you have CC'ed use the fermentation temp.

The thing is that these calculators try to account for how much dissolved co2 you still have in the beer as a result of the temperature. But if you CC the temp is low, but you fermented at higher temperatures, which means that the dissolved co2 contained in the beer is not what it would be if you'd ferment at CC-temps.

If you think about this, and add to this the factor about when the yeast stopped to produce bubbles relative to when the temperatures did rise/sink it's pretty much to think about, if you're nitpicking.

Thanks, not quite a rocket scientist myself, but we do have some real ones show up at our club meetings.

Brew on :mug:

After a LOT of google searches I found a good rule of thumb.
.75 X number of gals.
For example I just bottled a 4.6gal batch.
.75 X 4.6 = 3.4oz

Last edited:
I alwys use the highest temperature my beer reached during fermentation (primary or secondary). I check the temperature every night when I swap out the ice bottles. Keeping good notes has prevented many bottle-bombs I would like to think.

Back