Princess Auto Corona Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreigner

Reaction score
First off: any Canadians who have never been to Princess auto are missing out. It is the coolest place ever.

I had never heard of it until I asked for a cheap place to buy a grain mill.

Wow - I described it to my girlfriend - "imagine entering the best shoestore ever, now make it for dudes."

:rockin:

I got a corona mill for...16 bucks! they were having a sale, on top of their ridiculously cheap prices. Need a s/s bucket for feeding your horse (or for putting beer and ice in?), need a bilge pump for your boat? Plastic ties for...I don't want to know what you do with them :)

Incredible. :ban:

Now a question: How do y'all adjust your corona style mill to give you a good sized crush instead of making flour? Is there some kind of trick? I haven't put it together yet, but guess there is some kind of little trick I should know but don't.

Fly Guy, I'm lookin in your direction ;)

Thanks!

mr x said:
Now, if we could only get them to sell corny kegs....

You'd better believe I looked for kegging supplies! They seem to have everything else...

Princess auto is great but if you buy power tools there, make sure you buy 3 or 4 of them. :D High quality they ain't.

I just checked my mill (I have a porkert which is corona style) and the gap is a little under 1/8". I remember when I was setting it I used about 1KG or so of 2row to get it set right. I get low to mid 80's for efficiency so it seems to be a good setting. I would try setting it there initially and then tweak it until you're happy.

I don't have any pictures of my crush but there is some husk shredding and some flour but it seems to be a good mix. I've done 70/30 wheat grain bills and not had a stuck sparge so the husks definitely aren't too bad. No tannin extraction that I've been able to tell either.

Foreigner, I searched the site and there were no hits for the Corona mill. What's the name of the product on the package you have? I may make a trip next weekend if I can't order it online.

Bradsul, you hit the nail on the head. You get what you pay for when you buy Power Fist. I've gone through oxy-acetylene hoses, air hoses, impact wrenches, misc tools, etc and they should be considered semi-disposable. They WILL fail, and then you just buy another of the same or one of better quality somewhere else (other than Sears) if you want it to last. I guess that means I need a couple of those mills.

Fingers said:
...They WILL fail, and then you just buy another of the same or one of better quality somewhere else (other than Sears) if you want it to last. I guess that means I need a couple of those mills.
My favourite personal experience was a pry bar that I bought there (PA). I managed to bend it on its first use. Not even at the bend or on the prying surface where it was thin - right in the middle of the shaft.

A guy my dad works with once bought 3 reciprocating saws because they were only $30 each. He had to cut down a tree with a 6" trunk so he thought it would be a good first use. The first saw shredded its gearbox about halfway through. Saw number 2 barely managed to get half the remaining trunk before dying. He finished it with a cross cut saw rather than destroy the 3rd saw. :D

I have a corona. I always got flour and coarse, no matter what. It has sat on the shelf since taking the plunge for the barley crusher. Best buy ever!!! Corona mill is collecting dust. Flour? - Bah!

I think 16 dollars is way to much for a Corona mill. I hate mine and it is a piece of crap. I bought a Barley crusher and have not ever looked back.

Fingers said:
Foreigner, I searched the site and there were no hits for the Corona mill. What's the name of the product on the package you have? I may make a trip next weekend if I can't order it online.

Bradsul, you hit the nail on the head. You get what you pay for when you buy Power Fist. I've gone through oxy-acetylene hoses, air hoses, impact wrenches, misc tools, etc and they should be considered semi-disposable. They WILL fail, and then you just buy another of the same or one of better quality somewhere else (other than Sears) if you want it to last. I guess that means I need a couple of those mills.
I've seen the mill advertised on sale in their flyers, but it may/may not be in the main catalogue. The search feature on that website is not very good either way. I'd call and ask them about it if you live any distance. The thing may actually be a power fist brand lol

I won't buy anything from PA if the failure of the part would hurt me, or leave me unable to continue with what I am doing until I replace it.

I actually find TSC http://www.tscstores.com/ to be almost as inexpensive, but much better quality.

I doubt that they are available in major cities though.

KwaiLo said:
I actually find TSC to be almost as inexpensive, but much better quality.
I don't know, that $20 angle grinder doesn't scream high quality to me lol.

It all depends on your point of view. I have a very nice Craftsman cordless that is essentially worthless to me now because I can't find replacement batteries, and if I could I can just imagine the price. I just bought a 19.2V JobMate for $30, with two batteries, cheap to replace and just as good for what I do.

Hey all. Somehow this has turned into a my balls (barley crusher) are bigger than your balls (corona mill) thread. Who would have guessed. ;)

I was under the impressin that corona was a type name rather than a brand name.

it IS a power fist product. PowerFist Manual Grain mill. Sounds kind of perverted...check out my PowerFist baby.

There SEEMS to be an adjustment screw that allows me to alter the proximity of the two wheels...but i don't know about it...I might have to fashion some kind of really thin washer to maintain a 1/8 inch gap. We shall see. But hell, for 15 bucks I'm not complaining. I like a little challenge here and there anyhow :ban:

Foreigner said:
Now a question: How do y'all adjust your corona style mill to give you a good sized crush instead of making flour? Is there some kind of trick? I haven't put it together yet, but guess there is some kind of little trick I should know but don't.

There are 2 screws, one on each side of the actual milling face. You have to get a pile of washers in there so that you have some adjustment latitude with the screw on the center of the mill. I stuck about 1cm of washers in there so the mill faces are held apart, and then I tighten it down with the center screw. I run my mill about the thickness of 2 credit cards, slightly more perhaps. I grind it fine and get great efficiency. 80% efficiency on my batch yesterday.

Get a bolt that fits in the hole for the bolt that holds the handle on. Put a nut on the bolt (as a locknut) and screw it in there. Cut the head off with a hacksaw and use your drill to run it. Grinding a lot of grain with a handle is doable but not fun.

One more thing - the large size quaker oats canister fits perfectly into the small hopper that comes with the mill. Cut the bottom out and wedge it down in there, it'll barely hold 5 lbs of grain.

mward said:
There are 2 screws, one on each side of the actual milling face. You have to get a pile of washers in there so that you have some adjustment latitude with the screw on the center of the mill. I stuck about 1cm of washers in there so the mill faces are held apart, and then I tighten it down with the center screw. I run my mill about the thickness of 2 credit cards, slightly more perhaps. I grind it fine and get great efficiency. 80% efficiency on my batch yesterday.

I think this has totally cleared it up for me! thanks bro! I was focusing my attentions on the screw closest to the grinding plates, but where I need the washers to create the gap are on the shaft by the handle!!!!! Sweet!

You sir, are :rockin:

EDIT: On second inspection, that does not work. But, there is a ball bearing which is adjustable by a screw that was holding the plates closely together. I knocked it out, and it now appears as though I've got a 2 crecit card sized gap between the two blades...now where is my bag of 2-row... :) Still in the testing phase, but getting closer...

Hang on! I may not have been clear, but it sounds like you might be on the wrong track. FYI, don't remove that ball bearing, you need it.

Here are some pics of my modified mill that may clear up any misunderstanding you're having.

If you're super tricky like me, you get a long plastic bag and cut a slit in the back and put that over the grind head to keep the grains going down in the bucket and not everywhere else. It will fling grain. Put duct tape on any gaps because the slit has to be big to get it over the head and onto the shaft behind it.

corona1.jpg

corona2.jpg

Another thing, when you adjust the mill, realize that the shaft screw (the thing you should keep your fingers out of ) will force grains into the gap so adjust it while pushing the shaft forward.

mward said:
Another thing, when you adjust the mill, realize that the shaft screw (the thing you should keep your fingers out of ) will force grains into the gap so adjust it while pushing the shaft forward.

Yeah my previous post was on the wrong track. But, i figured out what you meant before you posted the pic of the washers. I put them in to avoid the wobbling wingnuts...I appreciate your help.

Oh, I understand what you mean by the "pushing the shaft forward," but a question: will the grains keep that gap forced open? There is some play now that I'm just looking at it eg:flour, coarse, flour, coarse...I imagine the grains are hard enough to keep that gap open but would like your input if you know what I mean :)

mward said:
If you're super tricky like me, you get a long plastic bag and cut a slit in the back and put that over the grind head to keep the grains going down in the bucket and not everywhere else. It will fling grain.

Wow dude, you know all the tricks!

Yeah there is more than enough pressure to keep that gap forced open. Don't worry there. The crush from a corona will shred the husks a little more. If I'm worried I throw in 1/2 lb of rice hulls just in case. Cheap insurance.

mward said:
Yeah there is more than enough pressure to keep that gap forced open. Don't worry there. The crush from a corona will shred the husks a little more. If I'm worried I throw in 1/2 lb of rice hulls just in case. Cheap insurance.

It sounds like my 15 dollars was well spent. I imagine i will grind my first 20# batch by hand, get fed up, then motorize it :)

Again, thanks for all your help! You've saved me a great deal of grief I imagine :)

Foreigner said:
It sounds like my 15 dollars was well spent. I imagine i will grind my first 20# batch by hand, get fed up, then motorize it :)

Again, thanks for all your help! You've saved me a great deal of grief I imagine :)
I did the same thing. My first AG batch was also my first batch with the mill. I wanted to 'earn my stripes' as it were; I did 6.5KG of grinding with the manual crank. Next batch was with a drill. :D

Foreigner said:

Fly Guy, I'm lookin in your direction ;)
Hey Foreigner -- sorry, just spotted this thread. I was camping with the family over the weekend, and just started going through all the threads I missed.

I have never been very scientific about my crush. I just kept making the gap smaller and smaller until the crush looked good. I got it fine enough so that basically all the kernels of grain are cracked. And then I have been making it a wee bit finer every batch until I reach a stuck sparge. It still hasn't happened yet on the Gott cooler MLT with the SS braid.

Once you get it set to a good crush, though, I highly suggest not fiddling with it again. These mills don't allow you to 'dial in' a setting like the more expensive mills (a definite drawback).

mr x said:
Now, if we could only get [Princess Auto] to sell corny kegs....
Keep your eyes open! Brewman ! says he saw a whole whack of them there once, for about $20 a piece, IIRC.

Brew-boy said:
I think 16 dollars is way to much for a Corona mill. I hate mine and it is a piece of crap. I bought a Barley crusher and have not ever looked back.
Dude -- you probably had it set up wrong or had a defective mill. Lots of people have had great success with them, especially if you batch sparge. Even Charlie Papazian claims to still use one (although this is also the same guy that still mashes in a bucket-within-a-bucket setup!) :) Anyways, for some Corona mill success stoires, see this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32437

:mug:

FlyGuy said:
Hey Foreigner -- sorry, just spotted this thread. I was camping with the family over the weekend, and just started going through all the threads I missed.

. I just kept making the gap smaller and smaller until the crush looked good. I got it fine enough so that basically all the kernels of grain are cracked. And then I have been making it a wee bit finer every batch until I reach a stuck sparge.

Once you get it set to a good crush, though, I highly suggest not fiddling with it again. These mills don't allow you to 'dial in' a setting like the more expensive mills (a definite drawback).

No worries :mug:
Good advice... I still haven't actually used it beacuse i sort of like to brew all in one shot and then put it all away, but it looks like the gap is a pretty decent size. A little trial and error, and I'll be golden. I'll keep you all posted about how this el-cheapo grain mill works out! I plan on brew pretty soon (Munich lager, kolsch, Honey Munich Steamer) WOOO!

FlyGuy said:
Keep your eyes open! Brewman ! says he saw a whole whack of them there once, for about $20 a piece, IIRC.
I'm going to call them and ask them about it. It seems like the kind of thing they would carry.

Anyone have a part # for the princess auto mill?

I talked to a helpful lady there who said they get them in only once or twice a year. She could search to see if there are any sitting at other shops or in the warehouse if they had a part number (yes... she asked ME for THEIR part number, on an item she confirmed that they do occasionally get...)

Thanks!

Wish I checked this thread earlier, I just purchased a barley crusher because it is recommended highly on this site. For $16 I could probably buy 8 corona style mills and still be ahead in price after shipping/exchange/duty on the barley crusher.

Ill have to check out princess auto sometime myself.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

I`m going to get a PowerFist mill and hook up my PowerFist drill on the ***** and see what break first.:rockin:

Princess Auto is a F!@# awsome place to go. I sometime go their just to look and alway leave with something. I just bought a drywall & deck drill for 30$ and beat the hell out of it and work just fine.

16$ for a mill S!@# guess were I`m going this weekend? :D

I saw a sign in PA indicating that the corona mill at this store was pulled due to quality issues. I guess it was too much of a piece of **** for even them. Actually, it inspires confidence that they will in fact pull something that is clearly inferior. Maybe the next batch will be a little better.

I'm sure I found a thread a while ago where someone had linked to the mill on the PA site, and maybe had a part # too? I seem to be quite incompetent with the search function here... couldn't find it...

Thanks to anyone...

Back