Problem? Fermentation re-started after dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippyclown

Reaction score
For various reasons that I'm aware of, my little yeastie boys quit early and stuck my ipa at 1.020. I needed it much dryer so after all else failed I pitched in a single packet of us-05 and didn't have much hope. 2 days went by and no change in gravity, so I decided to move on and I loaded my dry-hops into primary.

This morning, a full 72 hours after pitching the new yeast, I now have some visible signs of fermentation on the surface, as well as frequent bubbling in the airlock (every 10 secs or so).

So that's a nice surprise, but generally speaking can there be any negative effects to dry hopping during active fermentation? Other than "the dry hopping won't be as effective"...

zc

Check the SG in a couple more days for any downward movement. It is possible the air lock activity you are seeing is CO2 being released by the dry hopping, instead of fermentation.

Other than what you have stated, I do not know of any other ill effects unless you raised the temp to DH.
Once it finishes out where you expect/want, add some more hops...
:mug:

Check the SG in a couple more days for any downward movement. It is possible the air lock activity you are seeing is CO2 being released by the dry hopping, instead of fermentation.

Never thought of that before. Is that typical?

Yes, there are a lot of things that can happen that cause CO2 to be released from the beer, including changes in temperature, changes in pressure, adding hops or other things to the beer that serve as nucleation points for CO2 bubble formation, etc. Your FG will be the best indicator as to whether you have additional fermentation, or just off-gassing.

Happened to me when I decided to dry hop at the two week mark, instead of waiting for about three, when the SG sample was mostly clear of CO2.

At bottling time the aroma was less than normal for this beer. I'm going back to waiting the extra week or so.

Yes, there are a lot of things that can happen that cause CO2 to be released from the beer, including changes in temperature, changes in pressure, adding hops or other things to the beer that serve as nucleation points for CO2 bubble formation, etc. Your FG will be the best indicator as to whether you have additional fermentation, or just off-gassing.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Probably happens to me all the time -- I've just never looked so closely before. Because I did pitch that extra packet of yeast in there, I'll still check the gravity just in case.

Also good to know that dry hopping during active fermentation won't critically wound my beer.

Over and out.

zc

Back