Putting only 5 gallons in a 1/4 barrel keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
Is this a bad idea? If I purge the keg with CO2 first, will the headspace still hurt the longevity of the beer?

I underfill cornies all the time. I don't see why there'd be any problems. After all, the volume goes down as you drink it. Especially if you purge with CO2, you'll be cool.

Cheers :D

If you purge the keg with CO2 before filling (to avoid oxygen pickup), and then burp the headspace after you've kegged so that no oxygen touches the beer, I think you'll be fine.

When I keg, I purge the brite tank and keg, then push the beer out of the brite tank with CO2. I try to avoid any oxygen pickup whenever I rack, except from the kettle to the fermenter.

CO2 is heavier than atmosphere, so purging, then waiting a couple of minutes, then purging again will put CO2 at the bottom of your keg, which is where your tubing shoud be when you keg (to avoid splashing, even in an oxygen free environment).

Latest posts

Back