Putting together an American brown ale/mild split batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
Here's what I'm thinking now.

Going for an easy drinking mild and a brown ale with a good bit of earthy rather than hop flavor, neither with much in the way of IBUs.

Malt (for ten gallons, split into two batches of five gallons):
-Base malt split 50/50 between 2-row and light Weyermann Munich, enough to get me to standard beer strength.
-900 grams Carabrown (light brown malt, not a crystal malt despite its name, only brown malt I can get in Korea).
-200 grams caraaroma.
-200 grams caramunich II.
-Midnight wheat for color adjustment.

Hops:
-Touch of Bravo for bittering.
-Good dose of Delta late in the boil as its the closest thing I have on hand to a noble hop (got it on sale for $5/pound).
-Split the batches right after flameout and top off the mild half with a bit of water.
-While the brown ale half is still hot enough to get some IBUs out of the hops throw in some hopstand hops. For the non-citrusy hops I have on hand I've got Junga, Opal, Chinook, Bravo, Delta and Strisselspalt. Not sure what ratio to use on those but enough at flameout to get some hop flavor and a few IBUs without enough bitterness to really clash with the fairly malty base malt.

Yeast:
-English yeast in the mild ale half.
-American yeast in the brown ale half.

On the right track? Can't find much information about Junga and Opal, they're not traditional flame out hops but they're strong enough so avoid a grass bomb like you get with big handful of noble hops.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't used the weyermann versions, but I see you have a medium crystal, a dark crystal and some kind of brown malt, which are good choices. You might think of using 100-150g of chocolate malt? That's a common one to use in a brown ale. It seems like you're using a lot of munich, maybe spilt the base malt/munich 75/25.

Hop selection is going to be problematic. American browns often have citrusy hops for aroma and flavor, whereas mild ales don't. One thing you could do is a partigyle. Basically brew a high strength brown and don't worry too much about the efficiency. Then drain the wort and add fresh strike water, re-using the same grains, maybe adding another pound or two of base malt. So while the big brown ale is boiling you are mashing the small mild ale. This way you will have two seperate boils and can add different hops to each beer. Your idea of splitting the wort at flameout could work too, just throwing this out there

I haven't used the weyermann versions, but I see you have a medium crystal, a dark crystal and some kind of brown malt, which are good choices. You might think of using 100-150g of chocolate malt? That's a common one to use in a brown ale. It seems like you're using a lot of munich, maybe spilt the base malt/munich 75/25.

Hop selection is going to be problematic. American browns often have citrusy hops for aroma and flavor, whereas mild ales don't. One thing you could do is a partigyle. Basically brew a high strength brown and don't worry too much about the efficiency. Then drain the wort and add fresh strike water, re-using the same grains, maybe adding another pound or two of base malt. So while the big brown ale is boiling you are mashing the small mild ale. This way you will have two seperate boils and can add different hops to each beer. Your idea of splitting the wort at flameout could work too, just throwing this out there

Going through my old threads. Brewed this one and it came out pretty well.

Split the batch with one half getting top-off water and Windsor yeast and the other half getting flame out hops (50g Opal 50g Junga) and later a dry hop (50g Opal 50g Junga) and clean American yeast.

Screwed up my order and subbed some carabrown with melanoidin malt which isn't the same thing at all but was the closest thing I had on hand. Oh well.

The mild half turned out a bit boring but drinkable and dark and the other half had a really nice woodsy hop taste that was really special. Will try the same Opal/Junga hop combination again in a pale ale since that wood flavor would be a nice change of pace from standard pale ale flavors.

Back