Question about flavor change overtime.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadozen

Reaction score
Alright, so I brewed a Porter a while back. It's 2 weeks in the bottle and overall, I gotta say I like it so far. The body is just right, head retention is good, it smells nice and carbonation is right where I want it for once.

The only problem is in the flavor. I'm not picking up off flavors, but I'm not picking up a lot of maltiness in the flavor either. Like I said, it's only been 2 weeks in the bottle, so I'm not really sweating it, but will it get to that malty point in flavor with more time in the bottle or should I change up the recipe?

Thanks in advance friends :mug:

Beer evolves over time. I picture it as a rollercoaster ride with ups and downs. With any beer hop flavor and aroma will leave over time and leave a more maltier beer. I had a 7 year old American RIS from a local brewery, found a bottle at the bottling storage and he was generous gave it to me. The hops completely fell out of the aroma leaving a very nice malty RIS. So give it some time and see how the beer grows.

At just 2 weeks in the bottles it is a little early to tell what you will end up with. I would expect just a little more carbonation. The flavor will probably get better. Though I don't know that the perception of "maltiness" will change. Though I find some beers will be pretty well carbonated at 2 weeks, others take longer, and I feel that all my beers taste better at the standard "3 weeks" or longer.

The scale on the recipe shows below style for SRM which would also lead to a less malty flavor. The dark malts that would add color would also add to malty flavor.

For the recipe I would increase the chocolate malt or maybe add a little of something else like brown malt or roasted barley.

10-4. For added complexity could I increase the chocolate and add in the brown or roasted, or would I be pushing it too far?

If you're pouring softly and leaving the yeast at the bottom you should be getting the full effect of the beer as it is at that time. I.e. no yeast/trub astringency or off-flavors being present, the malt, hop and yeast character balance should be apparent. That being said, the beer will continue to change over time, likely dropping out some bitterness and hop flavor and over a long time ester conversion to other more complex flavors. The maltiness at the beginning depends on the malts you use. Some malt-derived compounds may add to the complexity over time, but it usually takes quite a long time and may not be considered pleasant. In a porter you are likely better off using some caramel, munich, melanoidin, biscuit, pale chocolate and/or more complex base malts to bring the malt forward. I don't believe darker malts have all that much potential for increasing flavor complexity compared to the other types of specialty malts.

Latest posts

Back