Question on faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bconsidi

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering is there is a difference in the chrome/brass/stainless steel faucets other than price. Are some more prone to degradation? Also any suggestions on places to buy a faucet? Thanks

Some people have suggested that chrome faucets can give off flavors. Personally, I have 2 chrome and 2 SS faucets, and I've never noticed a difference.

Chrome will eventually wear off after years of use and cleaning but stainless is forever. There's actually more of a difference between forward sealing and rear sealing faucets, of which I recommend the former.

I dont' know about SS vs Chrome, but I had a thread opened asking about Forward-sealing faucets vs standard, and the general consenus is that the Perlick Forward-seals are better than the standard. Bit more money though they are SS.

Brass corrodes easily, chrome faucets are almost always chrome-plated brass & once they wear (which would probably take decades) the brass corrodes. Stainless steel are solid stainless and last longer.

One other item is if you want to serve things like wine, ciders, fruity stuff or mead, the high acidity can speed up the issue. I went with SS to be able to hook up anything to any tap and serve. Once empty clean the line and hook up something else.

I wonder what wine would be like from a stout faucet?

Back