Quick question about primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrews824

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Brand new brewer here.

Ok, so I brewed my first batch this past weekend. An extract IPA. 5 gallons. Now, the recipe calls for 2 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and then 2 weeks in the bottle. My question is, can I move it to my secondary after one week if the fermentation has subsided to only 1 bubble (from a blow off tube) about every minute or so and leave it there for the remaining 3 weeks? I realize there is quite the opinionated debate of primary vs. secondary, but the reason I'm asking is that I have another kit arriving either today or tomorrow and I'd really like to brew again this weekend. I need my primary because it's 6.5 gallons while my secondary is only 5 gallons. I'd like to have the additional room of the 6.5 for initial fermentation. If I can't, that's ok. I'll just wait until next weekend. I just wanted some thoughts and opinions.

Thanks.

Just wait to brew your second batch and skip the secondary. You will do more harm to your beer than you will benefit by rushing it. The oxidization that will happen in that transfer will affect your beer adversely.

The way to determine if fermentation is done is to check your specific gravity. If it stays consistent for 2-3 days, fermentation is done. (Opening the fermenter exposes your beer to oxygen...see above.)

my strong advice for someone just starting out, buy some beer, crack some open and drink that for a month. At three weeks transfer your beer either to a keg or bottles. Wait one more week and then start drinking your beer. It still won’t be fully ready, but I can tell you are the impatient type. ;-)

Appreciate the feedback @NeoBrew I agree that I could do more damage than good. I'm plenty patient, I have no problem waiting. Just thought if I could.... I would. Not a problem.

Wait one more week and then start drinking your beer. It still won’t be fully ready, but I can tell you are the impatient type. ;-)
Impatient? Why I never open a bottle of my beer until it has had 24 hours in the bottle at room temp and 24 more in the refrigerator. Yes it was carbonated, no it would not form a head and the flavor wasn't the best but it was an experiment.

While I agree with the advice and best practices on oxidation and do follow them, I don't think oxygenation is as alarming, as presented, for a new brewer.
I oxygenated the heck out of a fermented batch that then went into a secondary for two weeks. It was still good and quite drinkable. It didn't taste stale early on and the batch was gone within two months.
There are such adept brewers here that they notice everything that can be off. Most everyone else has trouble telling the difference.
If you were going to compare using a secondary and not using one, this would be a good time.

While I agree with the advice and best practices on oxidation and do follow them, I don't think oxygenation is as alarming, as presented, for a new brewer.
I oxygenated the heck out of a fermented batch that then went into a secondary for two weeks. It was still good and quite drinkable. It didn't taste stale early on and the batch was gone within two months.
There are such adept brewers here that they notice everything that can be off. Most everyone else has trouble telling the difference.
If you were going to compare using a secondary and not using one, this would be a good time.

Man, I'm so confused now!!! 😅 I guess there is, obviously, a great deal of evidence to skip the secondary fermentation step simply because of the number of people that don't do it. However, a number of folks DO do it. I also agree that some of those that are more experienced may be able to detect the subtleties that I may not be able to at this point. At this point I have nothing to compare it to. In due time I guess.

So it sounds to me like your going to be in need of another primary fermenter. if you brewed your first batch a week ago and are ready to brew you second sounds like you might be hooked already, as i was when i first started. it didnt take long for me to acquire more and more equipment. glad you seem to be enjoying the hobby. be patient im sure youll enjoy the results.
cheers!

Man, I'm so confused now!!! 😅 I guess there is, obviously, a great deal of evidence to skip the secondary fermentation step simply because of the number of people that don't do it. However, a number of folks DO do it. I also agree that some of those that are more experienced may be able to detect the subtleties that I may not be able to at this point. At this point I have nothing to compare it to. In due time I guess.
Don't be confused. Here's the short version: you will get better results following the rules on reducing oxidation. As you said, and my point is, most people won't notice a change to a secondary. There are some sharp, super-experienced brewers here that know their stuff. If you wanted, you could use a secondary to compare for yourself.

So it sounds to me like your going to be in need of another primary fermenter. if you brewed your first batch a week ago and are ready to brew you second sounds like you might be hooked already, as i was when i first started. it didnt take long for me to acquire more and more equipment. glad you seem to be enjoying the hobby. be patient im sure youll enjoy the results.
cheers!

Haha. Yep, hooked already. I'll probably buy another primary fermenter in a few weeks or so. I'll just bide my time. Cheers.

Don't be confused. Here's the short version: you will get better results following the rules on reducing oxidation. As you said, and my point is, most people won't notice a change to a secondary. There are some sharp, super-experienced brewers here that know their stuff. If you wanted, you could use a secondary to compare for yourself.

Yes, good point.

What was the kit? I'm asking because I really never had much problem early on when I used secondaries. Back in the day (like 6-7 years ago) it was pretty common practice for a dry hopped west coast IPA to put the dry hops in that 5 gallon carboy and rack onto them. If your recipe has something like 60+ IBU and mostly old school hops such as Cascade and CTZ I'd say go for it and get another batch into your pipeline. On other hand if it low IBU and supposed to be some sort of hazy NEIPA style IPA just don't touch it till you are ready to bottle.

The oxidation thing is real and I'm into it pretty deep myself at this point trying for example to introduce dry hops without oxygen exposure in pressurized conical fermentor but I can still remember making really good beer in a 6.5 gallon buckets and sometimes using secondaries when I started out. Getting a pipeline going when you first start is really helpful as it makes it easier to be patient with currently fermenting batch when you have a couple three varieties of perfectly conditioned ready to drink homebrew on hand.

What was the kit? I'm asking because I really never had much problem early on when I used secondaries. Back in the day (like 6-7 years ago) it was pretty common practice for a dry hopped west coast IPA to put the dry hops in that 5 gallon carboy and rack onto them. If your recipe has something like 60+ IBU and mostly old school hops such as Cascade and CTZ I'd say go for it and get another batch into your pipeline. On other hand if it low IBU and supposed to be some sort of hazy NEIPA style IPA just don't touch it till you are ready to bottle.

The oxidation thing is real and I'm into it pretty deep myself at this point trying for example to introduce dry hops without oxygen exposure in pressurized conical fermentor but I can still remember making really good beer in a 6.5 gallon buckets and sometimes using secondaries when I started out. Getting a pipeline going when you first start is really helpful as it makes it easier to be patient with currently fermenting batch when you have a couple three varieties of perfectly conditioned ready to drink homebrew on hand.

It is a Northern Brewer Fresh "Squished" IPA. Around 6-7% ABV. This does require a dry hopped addition at 5-7 days before bottling. It's 1 oz. of Citra and 1 oz. of Mosaic.

Part of my advice was a push to have your first batch be as good as it can. It’s a great way to start off. I thought my first batch was amazing and so much better than the light lagger from a regional brewery here that it gave me the confidence to believe that making my own beer was better than buying.

Now, the fifth batch, that was a different story. When I got to spring and my basement wasn’t quite so cool I had a not so great batch. That is when I learned about fermentation temp control. If you are going to stick with this you will want to invest in something to control temps sooner rather than later.

Part of my advice was a push to have your first batch be as good as it can. It’s a great way to start off. I thought my first batch was amazing and so much better than the light lagger from a regional brewery here that it gave me the confidence to believe that making my own beer was better than buying.

Now, the fifth batch, that was a different story. When I got to spring and my basement wasn’t quite so cool I had a not so great batch. That is when I learned about fermentation temp control. If you are going to stick with this you will want to invest in something to control temps sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I've already been considering some sort of temperature control. I have an old fridge coming to me that I can store in my garage. A solid Czech style Pilsner is one of the brews I'd like to cook up one of these days and a fridge or some sort of temp. control would be a must for sure. And I hear ya about my "first batch". I definitely want it to be decent so that I can build confidence in my brewing.

Bucket fermenters are cheap enough that you shouldn't need to wait a few weeks.

One spare fermenter will not be enough. Buy 2. I now have 5 and at times will have all 5 busy.

Haha. Yeah, I'd love to have a few spares laying around. Honestly, I haven't really checked in to bucket fermenters that much. I'll take a look at 'em. Thanks for the advice.

I've never had an issue with using a secondary and if you take your time and keep from splashing your beer, you'll be fine. Sure, there's always risks but there's ways to avoid those risks too!

Yeah, I'm sure I'll have to do it eventually. I'll just have to be extra careful. Like you said however, a person needs to be extra careful anyway.

Hey guys,

Brand new brewer here.

Ok, so I brewed my first batch this past weekend. An extract IPA. 5 gallons. Now, the recipe calls for 2 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and then 2 weeks in the bottle. My question is, can I move it to my secondary after one week if the fermentation has subsided to only 1 bubble (from a blow off tube) about every minute or so and leave it there for the remaining 3 weeks? I realize there is quite the opinionated debate of primary vs. secondary, but the reason I'm asking is that I have another kit arriving either today or tomorrow and I'd really like to brew again this weekend. I need my primary because it's 6.5 gallons while my secondary is only 5 gallons. I'd like to have the additional room of the 6.5 for initial fermentation. If I can't, that's ok. I'll just wait until next weekend. I just wanted some thoughts and opinions.

Thanks.
Im a no scientist kinda brewer for 10 years and been brewing an IPA for several years (all grain). I transfer mine carboy to carboy from primary to secondary after 6 days with no oxygenation issues. I leave it for 14 days in secondary then keg it. All my friends and family said it's one of the best IPA's they've had. That being said don't overthink it, you'll have good beer! Cheers!

cheers!
Totally agree! The beer will be good but the cost of equipment will go up. I just started kegging and the head scratches and dollars are adding up..lol!

Im a no scientist kinda brewer for 10 years and been brewing an IPA for several years (all grain). I transfer mine carboy to carboy from primary to secondary after 6 days with no oxygenation issues. I leave it for 14 days in secondary then keg it. All my friends and family said it's one of the best IPA's they've had. That being said don't overthink it, you'll have good beer! Cheers!

Appreciate that. I'm very eager to taste mine that's for sure.

See. I had you pegged. Impatient.

🎤💧

;)

Back