Quick Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwillride17

Reaction score
Hello, i am brewing up my second batch today. My first was a brown ale, now I am doing a Cream ale. I also got a few things today as well. I got a strainer for my funnel. When I did the brown ale, I didn't use the screen and a fair amount of hops ended up in the fermentor. Should I use the screen for this batch? Any info is greatly appreciated!

I use a screen both to catch the hops and to aerate the wort (only send wort through it after it has cooled). I use a bucket for primary, and bought an adjustable fine-mesh collander at Target for this purpose. Not that big a deal if the hops go into the primary, though, doesn't hurt much of anything; ideally, you'd catch most of them.

I found the strainer that came with my funnel completely unusable. If was WAY too fine. If anything, I’d use a food-type strainer. If you’re using a secondary, you don’t really need to strain either, just don’t pour the crap (or at least most of it) at the bottom of the brew pot into the primary. You’ll leave it all behind in the transfer anyway.

ok thanks, I'll try the strainer. Hopefully it works. And yeah, I am using a secondary. The brown ale I transferred a couple days ago looks super clear in the secondary. I am also kegging it so It should be quite clear when it comes time to drink it.

Back