Quick Steeping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deific

Reaction score
Quick Question on steeping...

would it be best , if i was to steep specialty grains at 150 -160 for 30 minutes,

should i put grains to water at room temp / cool and then raise temp to desired 150 -160 and let sit there for desired time

or .. take water up to temp, then place in grains and let sit for 30 at 150-60

or does it not even matter...

thanks for your help!

Good to know. I always dropped grains in at room temp, them brought to 170 (~25 mins), then turned off heat until it was in the water for 30 mins. Ill try it this way next time.

I heat my water up to 155 to 162, never over 165. I then pull the pot off the heat and add the grains. I let the temp drop to 120 to 130 and then slowly heat back up to 155.

since you're only steeping grains for color/flavor and not actually mashing it for fermentables, I doubt either method has a big advantage over the other.

when I do it, I start cool, warm it up, hold for 30, then remove and proceed with the boil simply because that seems more convenient.

You release tannins into the wort, which isn't a flavor you typically want.
(there's another begginer's post a few down that says they boiled the grain bag...take a peek in there)

Latest posts

Back