Random Unknown leaf Hops Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beavbuff47

Reaction score
So a couple months ago a friend acquired a bunch (~2lbs) of fresh green leaf hops off the vine. We have no idea what kind. He dried them, and froze them. We'd like to make an all grain batch with them. Since we have no idea what kind they are, we don't really know how to use them. They're obviously much lighter now (like 1/4-1/2lb). Any suggestions?

I have made a batch with unidentified hops. I think I used a clean bittering hop, and used late hops based on a guess that they were legacy cluster hops. Smelling and tasting the hops may help you profile them. I also made a modest extract batch in case it didn't work out. (It did)
I've read a suggestion for "testing" hop bitterness. You can make hop tea with known AA hops, one low and one high, and your unknown hop. Tasting the tea will give you an idea of the bitterness. You can dilute with measured amounts to calculate bitterness.
Good luck, have fun, report your results.

Some friends and I just bottled an IPA we brewed with some local wild hops. We only did a 2 gallon (into the fermenter) test batch so we wouldn't end up wasting a ton of beer if it sucked.

Here's our grain bill/hop schedule:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
0.50 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
5 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 91.3 %
8.0 oz Amber (Crisp) (27.5 SRM) Grain 4 8.7 %
0.33 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 5 35.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Rio en Medio [7.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 22.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Rio en Medio [7.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -
1.00 oz Rio en Medio [7.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

We bittered with a known AA hop and then used the wild (the one called Rio en Medio here) for late boil and dry hop additions.

Brew day was kinda ****ty since this was a stove-top BIAB since we were also brewing a full 5 gallon all grain batch on my actual system. We didn't hit any of our gravities so had to add a bunch of DME to the boil. OG was 1.073 and it finished at 1.011

Latest posts

Back