[RANT] Unruly Dogs Off-Leash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5634.jpg

Portable. Loud. Directional. Useful on dog and owner.

Just a thought.
But after a couple of blasts, the dog would be less likely to run up to anyone. Pavlovian effect. :rockin:

Shaking my head here.
We have different laws here so pepper spray and paint ball guns are not an option.
I'd end up in jail for using either on person or dog.

I understand that it is not a nice situation to be in. I understand the frustration but all I have read is that the dogs come across has aggressive. If a dog wants to bite and fight it does. This just seems like normal dog behaviour. Most animals get confrontational and show aggression. it is frightening but it very rarely turns into actual fighting. It's just fronting up making noise and putting on a show.

Maybe I just see things from the dog's point of view.

Maybe in the U.K. but not that I've ran into. My German Shepherd almost killed a dog that came into my yard and picked a fight. I felt horrible that this dog almost died because the owner didn't care enough to control it. It's not right to put that burden on me or anyone else who is doing the right thing.

Shaking my head here.
We have different laws here so pepper spray and paint ball guns are not an option.
I'd end up in jail for using either on person or dog.

I understand that it is not a nice situation to be in. I understand the frustration but all I have read is that the dogs come across has aggressive. If a dog wants to bite and fight it does. This just seems like normal dog behaviour. Most animals get confrontational and show aggression. it is frightening but it very rarely turns into actual fighting. It's just fronting up making noise and putting on a show.

Maybe I just see things from the dog's point of view.

Nah, my dog's defended himself before and been in pretty crazy fights. I got my thumb bit really bad trying to break up one of them. He doesn't start them, but he's not going to run from them either. 99% of the dogs on the trail, he's fine with. But when a dog just runs up on you and starts attacking, well, what the hell can you do.

You might think it's just "frontin", and perhaps it is (though, the chomping isn't exactly "frontin" to me), but I'm not willing to take that chance and end up with an injured dog. I'm not gonna shoot the dog with paintballs or anything, and I'll give that dumb ***** owner one more chance before I move to pepper spray, but I will kick them good...and I'm going to give her fair warning that next time I'll be defending myself and my dog with a bit more than my shoe.

Again, these are dogs I don't know, and they appeared (both times) to be attacking my dog. When they're running up at full speed and go right for Xander (all of which happens in a split second), I don't have the time to contemplate whether they're frontin' or whether they're trying to rip my dog's throat out. And I'm not willing to take that chance. So maybe the dog gets a kick in the jaw. It sucks for him, but it's his owner's fault, not mine.

I suppose I take more risks than a lot of people.
I'm not always a play safe guy. 99% of the time I come out on top.
Not the way a lot of people are willing to go.
I understand where you are coming from.

I think dogs are pack animals and need a pecking order and they usually sort out themselves most of the time. Owners intervene and cause confrontation and tension.
A dog pulled back on a leash by a unskilled owner will often be much more aggressive then a dog let off the leash.

I've had friends with "Dog aggressive" dogs. they keep them on the leash and have hard times with them. I have cured a few of these dogs.

It's nothing difficult but it does take a little faith and some risk. It's not for every one and I can understand people not wanting to take the risk.

I suppose I take more risks than a lot of people.
I'm not always a play safe guy. 99% of the time I come out on top.
Not the way a lot of people are willing to go.
I understand where you are coming from.

I think dogs are pack animals and need a pecking order and they usually sort out themselves most of the time. Owners intervene and cause confrontation and tension.
A dog pulled back on a leash will often be much more aggressive then a dog let off the leash.

I've had friends with "Dog aggressive" dogs. they keep them on the leash and have hard times with them. I have cured a few of these dogs.

It's nothing difficult but it does take a little faith and some risk. It's not for every one and I can understand people not wanting to take the risk.

Valid points, but I already took enough risk by not pulling my dog away from the get go. All it took was 2 seconds and that stranger dog was attacking. I think I've given all I can give here, really, and yeah, I'm not willing to risk a lost eye or something just to see if some stranger's dog that I couldn't give 2 sh*ts about, will nice-up with mine. I really don't care one iota as to whether or not they can get along if left to their own devices, because I don't care to be around the dogs. So when their unleashed presence is forced upon me, I'm only going to do what is best for me and my dog. The onus is on the ignorant ********* owner to protect her dogs from self-defense methods that people elect to use.

I think this whole thing would be avoided if the lady would keep her dogs on a leash, as is the law. If she can't control her dogs on a leash, she should either get some training or not take them out at all. People forget that dogs ARE pack animals, and that the owner is the pack LEADER. If the dog thinks otherwise, then you've got a problem on your hands.

At one time we owned a 150 lb Rott that was people aggressive...my dad had to throw him to the ground and bite his throat a couple times a week to reassert dominance. He was an accident waiting to happen...the previous owners trained him to be agressive and it was ingrained. The other Rottie we had was extremely dog aggressive, and she was just as much a liability, maybe more so. We never took any of these dogs ANYWHERE without a harness (screw a collar & leash). The bottom line is, if your dogs can't be controlled outside of your little circle, then they shouldn't leave it ;)

I can't stand when people refuse to leash their dogs in public. One of the biggest offenders I know is my friend and neighbor (not as bad an idea as it sounds). His dog is hyper and about 60lbs in size. My friend is somewhat of a tree-hugger so he feels bad about leashing the dog. I've mentioned that it is actually much better for the dog if they are on the leash. He doesn't seem to see my point though (yet). Unfortunately, I think he and the dog are going to learn the hard way, some day, that he should be leashed. We live in a townhouse complex so everyone is in close quarters. He always lets the dog out without the leash and the dog always runs up and jumps on someone. Other than mauling our neighbors, the dog has run through an elderly lady's house, jump through a pregnant woman's vehicle, clobbered an infant, and tried to jump into the driveup window at the local fast food place. Yet still, he is never on his leash. I don't know what it will take for my friend to learn, but I hope it isn't anything too serious. On the flip side, I can never take my dog out while his dog is running wild. My dog is about 8lbs and is very afraid of his dog (understandably). Of course, if he had control of his dog it wouldn't be an issue...:mad:

I hate this crap, happens a lot at a park near me.

*****eberries will come and let their dogs run around while they read or talk on the phone.

If you're going to be so irresponsible as to let your dog run around unsupervised when you know he/she is aggressive... at least WATCH what they're doing.

I think this whole thing would be avoided if the lady would keep her dogs on a leash, as is the law. If she can't control her dogs on a leash, she should either get some training or not take them out at all. People forget that dogs ARE pack animals, and that the owner is the pack LEADER. If the dog thinks otherwise, then you've got a problem on your hands.

At one time we owned a 150 lb Rott that was people aggressive...my dad had to throw him to the ground and bite his throat a couple times a week to reassert dominance. He was an accident waiting to happen...the previous owners trained him to be agressive and it was ingrained. The other Rottie we had was extremely dog aggressive, and she was just as much a liability, maybe more so. We never took any of these dogs ANYWHERE without a harness (screw a collar & leash). The bottom line is, if your dogs can't be controlled outside of your little circle, then they shouldn't leave it ;)

+100. I'm an animal lover, I design animal shelters for a living, and I really don't want to hurt these dogs---but I'll do what I gotta do if it comes down to it.

My dogs are only on a leash 5% of the time. BUT
They have 100% recall, will sit outside a store forever unleashed while I shop. heel to command. Drop at 100 yards. I can stay them and walk out of sight.

It really is 100% down to the owner.

One of my dogs is nervous and gets bouncy around other dogs but I just drop him. Usually the other dogs ignore him if they know I'm in control. I just make him stay and he ignores the other dog.

They have 100% recall, will sit outside a store forever unleashed while I shop. Heal to command. Drop at 100 yards. I can stay them and walk out of sight.

One of my dogs is nervous and gets bouncy around other dogs but I just drop him. Usually the other dogs ignore him if they know I'm in control. I just make him stay and he ignores the other dog.

:off: What training references do you recommend? My dog is extremely hyper. She knows the basics (sit, down, stay, etc.) and I continue to work with her. Or maybe the question should be, how long did you work with your dog(s) until they behaved as such?

They have 100% recall, will sit outside a store forever unleashed while I shop. heel to command. Drop at 100 yards. I can stay them and walk out of sight.

Like I said, Xander's on a leash (easywalk harness, actually---if I leash him at the collar, he pulls so hard he chokes himself) 100% of the time, outside of the yard that is. He just likes to run, and doesn't understand that this is a city with lots of cars. Sadie can go off leash, because she won't run away.

:off: What training references do you recommend? My dog is extremely hyper. She knows the basics (sit, down, stay, etc.) and I continue to work with her. Or maybe the question should be, how long did you work with your dog(s) until they behaved as such?

Do a quick search on the "Dog whisperer"
some good techniques. Some crap to filter out.

I listened to and watched plenty of experts.
My dogs have a fun wild side an I don't keep them in 100% check unless I want to or need to. If they get out of line then they get a reminder who is boss. Most of it comes down to the right attitude.

Do a quick search on the "Dog whisperer"
some good techniques. Some crap to filter out.

I listened to and watched plenty of experts.
My dogs have a fun wild side an I don't keep them in 100% check unless I want to or need to. If they get out of line then they get a reminder who is boss. Most of it comes down to the right attitude.

Beautiful dog man.

Your last line is spot on, at least in my experience. It's not THAT hard to get most dogs to moderate obedience as long as you're consistent. Stay calm and don't let them get the best of you (either by being too cute, or too much of a PITA).

Do a quick search on the "Dog whisperer" some good techniques. Some crap to filter out. I listened to and watched plenty of experts. My dogs have a fun wild side an I don't keep them in 100% check unless I want to or need to. If they get out of line then they get a reminder who is boss. Most of it comes down to the right attitude.

I'll try not to rant on this topic too much but it is my line of work (animal training) and I’ll give some helpful tips. Cesar Millian's 'Dog Whisperer' techniques DO work BUT they are not right for 99% of dog owners. Dogs respond to dominance very well but they also will exploit an opportunity when they see one. The reason Cesar gets results very fast is because he knows the science behind animal training and is 100% dominant 100% of the time. He never lets his guard down and will not give the dog an inch of wiggle room in his training.

Don't get me wrong this works and you will see results if you know what you are doing. This is why I do not recommend his techniques to dog owners at all; the one time you let your guard down and do not discipline the animal at the moment it is doing an undesirable behavior the animal will VERY quickly go down this line of thinking; "If I can get away with it once why can't I get away with it twice" If the animal is allowed to perform an undesirable behavior twice then it has essentially been positively reinforced twice and the behavior will escalate. This form of animal training lets you never let your guard down and will teach your animal to fear you. It bestows the 'Do this or else!' attitude and I’d rather have my companion love me instead of fear me if it does something wrong.

If you're really interested in creating a well trained animal without the limitations that Cesar's techniques have look into clicker training. Karon Pryor is the authority on this type of training. If you read one book, read Don't Shoot the Dog It will take a bit more time initially to have your animal 'learn the game' but once he/she catches on the possibilities are endless. The animal will look forward to training because it is a positive experience for both the trainer and the animal. I'll stop ranting now but if anyone has any questions just PM me. I'm very passionate about animal training and have no problem working with someone through problems they have. I use positive reinforcement techniques every day and am amazed what a powerful tool it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
5634.jpg

Portable. Loud. Directional. Useful on dog and owner.

Just a thought.
But after a couple of blasts, the dog would be less likely to run up to anyone. Pavlovian effect. :rockin:

I almost like this one better than the pepper spray cause everytime she tries to speak when you're telling her off you can just blast her till she shuts up. Sometimes being an a-hole is awesome fun. I can see it now...

I mean, really, trying to hurt him, trying to bite him, etc., and I have to actually pick him up and hold him away from them while yelling and kicking the other dogs away until the owner decides to come and get her stupid ******* dogs away from mine.

Unless these are snausers I don't think they are going after your dog. Ive seen dogs attack and you'd lost a hand getting in between 3 dogs in a real on fight.

I always keep mine on a leash. Specifically my Pitt. Not because hes aggressive- in fact the contrary. But I know peoples opinions and have actually seen people pick their dog up an walk by me. Stupid people.

Thats one beautiful Pointer?

F*ck yeah..and when she sues you for animal cruelness or whatever the *****emallow does you will be completely justified for what you did. Go blind those ****ing dogs and the owner while you are at it

Unless these are snausers I don't think they are going after your dog. Ive seen dogs attack and you'd lost a hand getting in between 3 dogs in a real on fight.

I always keep mine on a leash. Specifically my Pitt. Not because hes aggressive- in fact the contrary. But I know peoples opinions and have actually seen people pick their dog up an walk by me. Stupid people.

Thats one beautiful Pointer?

Sh*t, I know too, because the last time he was involved in something like this, I tried to break it up and ended up with blood pouring from my thumb. It was the same sh*t this time as that one, same attitudes, same mannerisms, same everything...except this time, we were out of a yard and I had him on a harness and leash, meaning I could pull him away quickly and hold him up. They didn't get a chance to get into a real fight because I pulled him away quickly enough, but that didn't stop the other dogs from trying. But...if I were a betting man, I'd wager everything I had on the bet that it would have turned into a real-deal dogfight if I hadn't pulled him away as soon as I did. Since Xander's a bit skittish around stranger dogs and I don't know how the other ones are going to react, I keep him on a very short leash when he's around new dogs...and am very cognizant of what's going on. When I sense tension, I pull him away. This time, the moment of tension came when the other dog started trying to bite Xander, and I pulled him away with the leash and held him up and away from the other dogs...meanwhile, the rowdier of the two dogs continued to jump on me and was actively trying to bite xander's legs as I held him up.

No, those damn dogs were not playing. They were chomping. I know the difference.

He could hold his own, of course, but I didn't want to see a fight, and with her dogs running around like crackheads,

next time, take him off the leash and join the fray! nothing like a good old fashioned woopin to establish the hierarchy and bond with your pet...;)

...trying to get to xander, chomping down repeatedly trying to bite him. I've seen dog fights before. If I hadn't picked xander up and kicked the dogs away as best I could, blood would have been spilled without a doubt. I don't need to wait until they put my dog in stitches before I act.

+1 brother.

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me just a couple of weeks ago. I was walking our 1.5 year old Wheaten Terrier on the sidewalk by one on the ponds in our subdivision, when an off-leash dog of unknown breed (~80-100 pounds) charged from all the way down by the pond up to the sidewalk and took my dog down. My Wheaten is only 30 pounds, and I was able to pick her up and get her away from the other animal. I've no doubt that this dog would have torn mine to shreds.

When the owner finally got up to where we were, she merely collected her dog and turned to go. No, "is your dog OK?" or "I'm really sorry," or anything. Not a freaking word. I just blew up and lit into her verbally, and I admit I spared no words whatsoever. They all got used, multiple times. She never once said a thing. A few days later I saw the same dog off leash in the same public area, this time with the old man.

Not the dog's fault? Maybe not. But if I saw that dog charging mine again I'd not hesitate to bust its skull with a bat.

Back