RC Nitro cars/trucks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
So I'm looking at wasting more money...I mean trying a new hobby. RC nitro car/trucks.

Not exactly looking to race locally, but the electric vehicles just don't excite me like the gas driven ones. 15 mins per battery pack unless you buy a spendy battery..meh.

Plus I'm looking to learn more about mechanics and engine tuning and figured a single piston would be easier to learn on and less costly to eff up.

Specifically I'm looking at something like a Traxxis TMaxx 3.3. Some people on an RC forum are suggesting Savage as being a little better truck for the money.

Who here knows a few things about this stuff? Gooooo brain trust!

Much nicer getting 30 minutes runtime out of a gas driven RC. And since they are so much faster too, the carnage from crashes is more exhilierating.

My buddies got into for a while. Spent more time rebuilding and "tuning" than they did playing. The gas rigs are in tatters and the lectrics' got handed down to the kids.

Finally, something I know a LOT about. I raced Nitro RC for the better part of 4 years.. and spent a LOT of money on it.. I mean a LOT of money.

I purchased a Team Losi LST 1 to begin with. I knew plenty about mechanical things (have worked in an auto shop etc) but I knew nothing about these amazing RC motors. My first engine lasted about 4 weeks, then began to stall etc. I learned a LOT about tuning etc with that engine. I eventually went through about a dozen motors in 4 years and usually had 2 trucks built and ready to run. I also had enough spares to build an entire truck out of... well almost 2 trucks.

Here's where you need to spend a bit of time thinking long and hard about what you want to do with the truck. I consider the LST 2 to be the best machine on the market. They have a high/low range transmission (so 4 gears) and reverse. They also have twin steering servos and are pretty damned tough. Savages are a bit more difficult to break, but a lot harder to fix.

Don't let a a few dollars convince you to buy something that won't be as much fun to own. et online and check as many race results as you can find, and see what's winning. That isn't always the best way to find the best truck, but it's a good head start anyway.

I also raced Mugen buggies (MBX5's) and Serpent on road nitro as well. We won't even start to talk about RC helicopters....

Do a lot of research, buy a lot of tools and spares, then get ready to have a LOT of fun!

Go Losi!

I ended up with a Traxxas 4WD Slash w/ brushless motor, RTR. Comes with a low end battery and charger, but at least it was a full package deal. and a 2.4gHz transmitter.

top speed 65mph with LiPo's and a gear swap.

That takes ALL the fun out of it! You need Nitromethane fuel to enjoy yourself LOL

You dont need nitromethane for anything now to have fun brushless rc cars are more reliable and faster then nitro rc cars

I agree although i miss the smell and sound of nitro, electric is just that much better and you have alot more fun. Next you should get into Rc Rock Crawling, nothing like driving and having a home brew in the other hand.

Faster and more reiable... sure! Also less work to keep up and cleaner. But nothing else is like a nitro motor screaming it's guts out at 30,000 RPM and you knowing that you tuned it to perfection. Nitro is not for everyone.. it's more like a science project that a "Toy Car", and it's FULL of headaches. It's just that much nicer when you finally are comfortable with it and it all works.

yeah I went electric because I don't know much about engines or tuning. a nitro call might be cool someday when I want to delve into that aspect of things.

the Slash will do 65mph on LiPo's and an aftermarket pinon gear.

Back