Read the Hydrometer Wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KathrynArielle

Reaction score
I have no idea wtf was wrong with me when I started my mead, but I read the hydrometer wrong. VERY low SG (1.05) when I realized, and at the racking it had fermented dry (one month, by this point). Is there any way to save it outside of making a higher gravity batch and blending it? Perhaps adding more honey and repitching yeast?

Since the alcohol level isn't too high right now, ~6%, I gather you could add more honey and new yeast, as well as another good dose of nutrients.

To increase the chances the yeast will restart and finish fermentation of the new fermentables, it should best be pitched at high krausen. For that, make a starter first in a jar or jug with some honey and nutrients, until it's creamy and foamy, then add to fermenter.

Happens to all of us, you could just back sweeten with more honey and enjoy your batch...then start another batch and learn from your error

If she opts to simply drink it, what can she do to combat the too-thin mouthfeel? I suggest bottle conditioning it to carbonate, also backsweetening (and pasteurizing when the carbonation is done). Would tannins or glycerin help? I don't have a great handle on mouthfeel yet.

Back