recipe reveiw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerthirty

big beers turn my gears
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've switched rigs and I'm trying fly sparging for a few brews. Water amounts had me a bit brow beat since it seems to be a balancing act of volume and temp to hit your correct PBV. I would love some input on the following recipe.
I am using a single tier with fly sparge and direct fired MLT made from kegs. I have calculated my MLT, BK dead space and chiller loses accurately. so the main question is would you do anything to the water schedule?
View attachment what ales you IPA.txt

I plan on direct firing and recircing the MLT so the mash out temp can be reduced so as not to extract grain tannins but couldn't figure out how to put that into beersmith.

Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out. Click "add", step name Mashout, under Type select Temperature.

I would mash 150-152 on this. It will still be quite malty with the Victory malt in there. I mashed an APA with that % of Victory at 155 and it is wayyyy too malty. Otherwise I think you have been looking over my shoulder, that recipe looks like one of mine. :)

Thanks Sacch, took your mash advice. It was a good brewday except for unexplainable sparge issue. temp started at 170* sparged with 180* and mash temp dropped to 164* weird It was cooler today than normal although hot enough I should not have had to worry about tun temp loss. Still a good day, started late and finished early with full 1hour sparge included. PBG and OG both over slightly. Changed up the hop schedule a little but was tasting good at the OG test.

Back