Recirculating Dry-Hop System in a Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hennesse

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I want to kick my dry-hopping up a notch. I've been putting hops in a lingerie bag, and letting them sit in a secondary fermenter, or a serving keg, for 5 days. This works, but not great, because the hops just steep. I'll bet the Sierra Nevada "torpedo" method would work much better. SN recirculates beer from the fermenter through a "hop torpedo" and back into the fermenter. Recirculating the beer through the dry hops should be more effective, and a lot quicker than just letting them steep.

A Blichmann Hop-Rocket could easily take the place of late hop additions. But that locks in my recipe on brew-day. When I taste the fermented, but not yet carbonated beer, I might say "Mmm, this tastes good, but it could use a little more hop flavor/aroma". Since I do 10-gallon batches (2 Cornys), I might want to compare the same recipe with Cascade dry-hops versus Citra dry-hops. Dry-hopping in the Corny kegs sounds like the answer.

Here's the concept:
dry-hop-2.jpg

Put hop flowers in hop filter. Purge pump, hoses, and keg with CO2. Then attach CO2 to the Gas-In post, and push the beer down to the pump. Besides priming the pump, this starts a siphon. Once the pump is primed, turn it on and throttle back the output side. Pull the pressure release valve to vent off excess CO2. Come back in six or eight hours (not days).

To do two kegs at a time, use Tees and hook them up in parallel. Of course, this would require two of everything, and I'd have to prime each one with CO2 to start the siphons.

Corny Hop Filter
Adventures In Homebrewing has a number of interesting hop filters, but their only one that fits in a corny-keg doesn't have a solid bottom cap. I couldn't find any other reputable sellers.

Over on Amazon, there's this one ($14), and
this one ($18), and this one ($19), and this one ($24), and this one ($17). There might be more! But only this one $13 shows the bottom, and it's solid. It's also the least expensive. I think they're all the same except the $24 one which has a screen over the holes in the cap, but I don't think that is really necessary.

These filters could also be used simply to replace the lingerie bags in the traditional dry-hopping method. The lingerie bags tend to get ugly with use, tear easily, and and are hard to clean.

Carbonation Lid Assembly
The "Carbonation Lid Assembly" is a Corny keg lid that has had a Ball-lock fitting and a 1/4 or 5/16 hose barb attached. Then a hose and a carbonation stone of varying quality. I don't really want the stone, but no one seems to sell the lid without the stone.

The Adventures In Homebrewing ($50) has a 1/4" MFL / FFL flare pair connecting the carbonation stone to the flexible downtube. The flare fittings offer versatility for easily changing between dry-hopping and carbonating.

MoreBeer ($60) offers a similar one, but the price is higher.

Williams Brewing ($35) and Amazon ($29) offered products that had barb-connected stones, so they would be quite a lot more trouble to interchange with a dry-hop setup.

Speaking of carbonation, this stone over at Chi Products looks like the best of the bunch. Chi has a number of products that are hard to find anywhere else. The have four original style poppets plus the common universal one. Here's the Cornelius poppet. Also check out their Tank Posts and Adapters. Over on page 2, they sell adapters to change the weirdo 19/32-18 (and other sizes) tank posts to flare fittings or pipe thread.

Holey Tube Inside the Filter
I think it will be just a length of stainless tubing with a bunch of holes drilled in it, and squished closed on the bottom end. A stainless shaft collar or stainless hose clamp will keep it inside the hop filter.

Ball-Lock Modification
The poppet in the keg posts and "pusher" in the ball-lock connectors could be removed to aid flow rate. I could substitute a regular lid at the end, but would still have to replace the liquid-out poppet. Might be more trouble than it's worth.

Once I've got this thing built and tested, I'll let you know how it works. Meanwhile, I hope I've given you some ideas. And I'd appreciate any suggestions, great or small...

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
You're basically talking about a randall. I had one made from a plastic water filter canister. They work great, but I found it wasn't worth the hassle.

There’s a guy on YouTube (when isn’t there “a guy on YouTube” who hasn’t tried something...lol). Anyway he has tried something like what you are talking about. Here’s the link.

If you type in “recirculating hop” or “dry hop recirculation” you should find some others. I also found this too where the guy is using the Hop Rocket in conjunction with a peristaltic pump. Seems like an interesting idea.

Also, in Experimental Brewing Denny Conn and Drew Beechum interviewed a guy at HomebrewCon who had this flavor infuser. Here’s the video of him using it:

And here are the plans:
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/bl...tructions-or-how-build-your-own-randall-fcker

And then one last item I found:

I heard on a homebrewing podcast (can’t remember which one...I listen to a number of homebrewing-related podcasts) that quite a few pro breweries are doing this. So if they can do it...SO CAN WE!

I’ll be interested to see what you come up with.

Hi folks,

I want to kick my dry-hopping up a notch. I've been putting hops in a lingerie bag, and letting them sit in a secondary fermenter, or a serving keg, for 5 days. This works, but not great, because the hops just steep. I'll bet the Sierra Nevada "torpedo" method would work much better. SN recirculates beer from the fermenter through a "hop torpedo" and back into the fermenter. Recirculating the beer through the dry hops should be more effective, and a lot quicker than just letting them steep.

A Blichmann Hop-Rocket could easily take the place of late hop additions. But that locks in my recipe on brew-day. When I taste the fermented, but not yet carbonated beer, I might say "Mmm, this tastes good, but it could use a little more hop flavor/aroma". Since I do 10-gallon batches (2 Cornys), I might want to compare the same recipe with Cascade dry-hops versus Citra dry-hops. Dry-hopping in the Corny kegs sounds like the answer.

Here's the concept:
dry-hop-2.jpg

Put hop flowers in hop filter. Purge pump, hoses, and keg with CO2. Then attach CO2 to the Gas-In post, and push the beer down to the pump. Besides priming the pump, this starts a siphon. Once the pump is primed, turn it on and throttle back the output side. Pull the pressure release valve to vent off excess CO2. Come back in six or eight hours (not days).

To do two kegs at a time, use Tees and hook them up in parallel. Of course, this would require two of everything, and I'd have to prime each one with CO2 to start the siphons.

Corny Hop Filter
Adventures In Homebrewing has a number of interesting hop filters, but their only one that fits in a corny-keg doesn't have a solid bottom cap. I couldn't find any other reputable sellers.

Over on Amazon, there's this one ($14), and
this one ($18), and this one ($19), and this one ($24), and this one ($17). There might be more! But only this one $13 shows the bottom, and it's solid. It's also the least expensive. I think they're all the same except the $24 one which has a screen over the holes in the cap, but I don't think that is really necessary.

These filters could also be used simply to replace the lingerie bags in the traditional dry-hopping method. The lingerie bags tend to get ugly with use, tear easily, and and are hard to clean.

Carbonation Lid Assembly
The "Carbonation Lid Assembly" is a Corny keg lid that has had a Ball-lock fitting and a 1/4 or 5/16 hose barb attached. Then a hose and a carbonation stone of varying quality. I don't really want the stone, but no one seems to sell the lid without the stone.

The Adventures In Homebrewing ($50) has a 1/4" MFL / FFL flare pair connecting the carbonation stone to the flexible downtube. The flare fittings offer versatility for easily changing between dry-hopping and carbonating.

MoreBeer ($60) offers a similar one, but the price is higher.

Williams Brewing ($35) and Amazon ($29) offered products that had barb-connected stones, so they would be quite a lot more trouble to interchange with a dry-hop setup.

Speaking of carbonation, this stone over at Chi Products looks like the best of the bunch. Chi has a number of products that are hard to find anywhere else. The have four original style poppets plus the common universal one. Here's the Cornelius poppet. Also check out their Tank Posts and Adapters. Over on page 2, they sell adapters to change the weirdo 19/32-18 (and other sizes) tank posts to flare fittings or pipe thread.

Holey Tube Inside the Filter
I think it will be just a length of stainless tubing with a bunch of holes drilled in it, and squished closed on the bottom end. A stainless shaft collar or stainless hose clamp will keep it inside the hop filter.

Ball-Lock Modification
The poppet in the keg posts and "pusher" in the ball-lock connectors could be removed to aid flow rate. I could substitute a regular lid at the end, but would still have to replace the liquid-out poppet. Might be more trouble than it's worth.

Once I've got this thing built and tested, I'll let you know how it works. Meanwhile, I hope I've given you some ideas. And I'd appreciate any suggestions, great or small...

Dave
How'd this turn out? I want to build one myself-- not just for hops, but also for cold brew nitro coffee. I'd be curious to see the design of theperforated pipe inside the filter.

Wonder if you could do this by removing the poppets on the keg posts and the plastic stem and spring on the disconnects then put a needle valve on the outlet of the posts. Then when its time to dry hop hook up some hose and use a self priming pump to recirculate through a randall or torpedo device.

hops.jpg hops.jpg
How'd this turn out? I want to build one myself-- not just for hops, but also for cold brew nitro coffee. I'd be curious to see the design of the perforated pipe inside the filter.

The corny filter is Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B2S94FT or another of the many lookalikes on there. $13.99

The carbonation keg lid is from Amazon - one of the many lookalikes offered there.

Here's what my perforated pipe looks like. It's 11-1/2" from the filter top to the crimp at the bottom. The 1/16" holes are drilled completely through the pipe in two rows. Use a drill press and vise or you'll have to buy a bunch of drill bits - like I did.

CHANGE! I would suggest NOT drilling the bottom 4 or 6 holes at first. Gravity causes more flow through the bottom holes than through the top holes, and we the wort to flow through as much hops as possible.

The pipe is McMaster-Carr 8989K471 - Welded 304 Stainless Steel Tubing, 3/8" OD, 0.02" Wall Thickness, 1 Foot Long $1.85

The hairpin cotter, which loosely holds the top of the filter to the perf pipe is McMaster-Carr 92391A135 - 18-8 Stainless Steel Hairpin Cotter Pin, for 3/8" to 1/2" Clevis Diameter, 5/64" Wire Diameter $8.41

The Stainless Steel double-ended male flare fitting is BrewHardware.com FLAREM14XFLAREM14 https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/flarem14xflarem14.htm $3.00 They have some hard-to-find goodies.

I used a brass compression fitting which I found in the brass fitting drawer of my toolbox. It hurt me to use anything but stainless steel, but I survived.

-----
Purging the system with CO2 and then getting the siphon started takes a little (not much) thought. If I hadn't had so many glasses of homebrew (relax, don't worry) tonight, I might be capable of a little (not much) thought. Your mileage may vary.

Dave

hops.jpg

Latest posts

Back