Rehabbing my kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldpaddy

Reaction score
Morning everyone, I have an old danby kegerator that I haven't used in a decade. I plugged it in a few months back and it cooled down. So I figure I'm going to replace all the lines, fittings, coupler and regulator and start using it again. I'd like to replace everything with quality equipment, preferably not chinese made ****. Any recommendations? I remember I had a problem with foam, so I think I'll add a tower chiller fan. The co2 has some surface rust, will I have an issue getting it recharged because of that? I know with propane tanks that's a big no no. There's still co2 in it, any reason why I shouldn't use what's left?

Thanks

I spent the money on stainless steel Perlicks 630's
a fan for the tower is a good idea, Co2 tank probably wont be able to get filled, but i would test out whats init with one of those screw on carbcaps and test it on one bottle, maybe water so you can taste if its ok.

The hydro will definitely be out of date.
New faucets would be nice for sure.
I just redid everything in mine and used duo tite push fittings and Eva barrier 4mm ID lines for gas and liquid. Good stuff

Well, it's a remoted primary regulator with a unique stem and includes the high pressure hose which isn't cheap (figure $50 for that alone).
And I'm betting the run rate on that item is a couple of orders of magnitude lower than their "regular" cylinder-mounted reg sets, which doesn't help put downward pressure on the price. A conventional primary regulator with a conventional secondary would actually be a cheaper solution toward remoting a regulator.

Is there a reason why you're even looking at that regulator?

Cheers!

Well, it's a remoted primary regulator with a unique stem and includes the high pressure hose which isn't cheap (figure $50 for that alone).
And I'm betting the run rate on that item is a couple of orders of magnitude lower than their "regular" cylinder-mounted reg sets, which doesn't help put downward pressure on the price. A conventional primary regulator with a conventional secondary would actually be a cheaper solution toward remoting a regulator.

Is there a reason why you're even looking at that regulator?

Cheers!
Thanks. I was looking at regulators and I saw that one and I was trying to figure out why it was $200 more than the rest of them.
Do you have any suggestions on regulator and coupler brands? I'm trying to stay away from cheaply made stuff.

I have Taprite, Chudnow, and Micromatic regulators in use, and rank them 1-3 in that order.
A Taprite t742hp-02 (1/4" MFL w/shutoff and check valve) is a solid easy to use primary regulator...

Cheers!

I have Taprite, Chudnow, and Micromatic regulators in use, and rank them 1-3 in that order.
A Taprite t742hp-02 (1/4" MFL w/shutoff and check valve) is a solid easy to use primary regulator...

Cheers!
What brand coupler do you use?

If you want a wall-mounted primary regulator, here is a cheaper option: Taprite CO2 Management System w/ 6' High Pressure Hose: Bevco Inc. - Providing Service To Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas & New Mexico

I've been thinking about getting that for my walk-in cooler, but having the regulator on the tank has been fine for me for nearly a decade, so I have no real impetus right now, I've had it on my wishlist for a long time though. haha.

For ball lock or pin lock disconnects, the best known brand for consistent quality is CMB, which you can find at any of the major retailers. I will say that I've had my eye on stainless disconnects for a long time, but for how many I would need to buy, it gets very expensive very quickly. If you are only going with a couple sets though, you may want to consider stainless.

fwiw, I have 39 CMB ball lock connectors in use.
The only issues I ever had was they often arrived with non-tight caps, and one was missing a cap gasket...

Cheers!

Thanks guy, unfortunately my kegerator died. Good thing it did before I bought everything. Oh well. Guess I'll be buying another one soon. I'm thinking of getting a dual faucet and making one tap specifically for homemade soda for my kids.

Latest posts

Back