Repitching into high ABV beer/wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btbnl

Reaction score
Despite a two-step 3L WLP007 starter, after a comedy of post-pitching errors my RIS is stuck at 1.034 and 8.5% ABV. I'm confident there are plenty of fermentable sugars left, but I've already cold-crashed and transferred to secondary (part of the CoE) so I want to repitch to knock the remaining 10 points or so off.

Questions:

Should I re-pitch the same yeast or am I close enough to the ~10% limit of WLP007's alcohol tolerance that I should hit it with something like WLP099 instead?

What is the best way to prepare the yeast for re-pitching, in particular to ensure they have the oxygen they need? Will the stir-plate provide sufficient aeration, or should I hit the starter with oxygen too? I'm assuming oxygenating the beer itself is a recipe for wet-cardboard flavored disaster, especially with months of aging ahead of it.

What's the best temperature to re-pitch at? The same as the original pitch (62F) or warmer to give the yeast the best chance of making headway in a more challenging environment?

Thanks for your advice.

If it were me I would try something simple... and cheap first.

How about just gently... and I mean very GENTLY stirring up the trub to resuspend the yeast in the fermentor. Let's see if those lazy ba$tard$ can get back to work!

If it were me I would try something simple... and cheap first.

How about just gently... and I mean very GENTLY stirring up the trub to resuspend the yeast in the fermentor. Let's see if those lazy ba$tard$ can get back to work!

No trub - I've already cold-crashed and racked to secondary.

Less than an overwhelming wave of suggestions and advice.

In the end I figured that what I want to re-pitch is a good dose of healthy yeast that are in as similar a state as possible to the ones I crashed out. Calling around the local breweries, I found one with a Scottish Ale on US05 that was past the first flush of fermentation but still making steady progress at 8% and rising, from which they were happy to given me a pint of yeast slurry.

So thanks Matt at Alameda Island Brewing!

That should work. In general the best way to get fermentation rolling again is to make a starter and pitch at high krausen.

Back