rishing gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstein

Reaction score
Ok, I just bottled up my brown ale last night. When i brewed it I took a gravity reading and it was 1.042. A week later, I racked it over to my secondary and took a gravity reading at that time: 1.012. I left it in the secondary for little over 1 week, bottling it last night. I took my final gravity reading and it read 1.017. that was after I added the bottling sugar. Would that make it rise almost .005?

Your beer's gravity won't increase that much with just the small amount of corn sugar added for priming.
It could be that you read the hydrometer incorrectly or maybe you took the readings at 2 different temperatures (most hydrometers are calibrated at 60 degrees F). Maybe a combination of both.
Another thought that just occurred to me is that the priming sugar didn't get stirred into the beer enough and you ended up with concentrated sugar in your hydrometer flask.
One last important question- How much priming sugar did you use? 2/3 to 3/4 cup is all you need. Excess sugar, especially if it raised your gravity 5 points, can lead to bottle bombs.
I hope I have helped.

The priming sugar I get from my LHBS is pre-measured for bottling. i am thinking that I may have read it wrong the first time. I do take into account that the temp is off, and I adjust for it. the brew I used for my reading was from the bottom of my bottling bucket and I had pour the priming in first then siphoned my beer into the bucket letting it mix as the beer is siphoned in.

I'm pretty sure 3/4 cup of priming sugar raises your hydro reading about .003. If you forgot to temp-correct your reading that could account for another point or two...

Latest posts

Back