Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudhen5

Reaction score
I'm brand new to home brewing and received this extract kit as a gift. As I've read from others, the instructions are very vague. The instructions imply adding the flavor extract (2 oz of hazelnut flavoring) at the end of my boil, just before cooling. A video I watched said to add a flavor extract just before bottling. Also, is a secondary fermentation recommended? If not, how long should I leave it in the primary fermenter?

Thanks, any advice is much appreciated

Primary for 3-4 weeks, secondary not really necessary. I'd probably just add the flavoring at flame-out. I suppose you could probably add the flavoring to secondary and rack on top of it or add it when bottling, but I don't know much about the flavoring so I can't offer any advice.

There is a recipe in BYO for that. It says to add the flavoring in the secondary/when fermentation is done.

Convention says 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, and three weeks bottle conditioning before drinking. A number of brewers (myself included) are moving to longer primary time and optional secondary. The choice is up to you.

For the extract, I've never used that kit but I think most recipes that call for extract editions call for the addition to taste before bottling.

I just brewed a hazelnut brown ale. I used the hazelnut flavoring that comes in a 2 oz. container. I added it when I bottled and I only used a little less then half the bottle. it has a light smell and taste. Just be carefull that stuff is strong I think the whole bottle would be to much

When i did a version of this I added to the keg, so at bottling or kegging would be my suggestion. Also what to second the be careful with the flavoring. I only added 1 oz and thought it was WAY too much. Start small and add more if you think it's needed.

Latest posts

Back