Rye malt for Guinness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninoid

Reaction score
A few years ago I made rye beer. I liked it, but I haven't used rye malt since. Now I'm trying to make a copy of Guinness, so I'm reading various instructions on how to make it as faithful as possible. Since I don't have equipment for nitrogen or even carbonation with CO2, I do carbonation with sugar in a bottle. I remembered rye malt. I know that it brings fullness of flavor and strengthening of the foam, and it also has that different taste that, in the amount of about 5% of grist, could imitate the slightly acidified (brett or milk acid) taste of Guinness.

What do you think about that?
Has anyone tried it yet?

Never seen Rye in a Guinness clone, usually just Pale Malt, Roasted Barley and Flaked Barley. I think it would be hard to reproduce the slight sour taste in Guinness but Rye isn’t the answer, maybe some Acid Malt.

I use rye in all my stouts for some of the same reasons, so of course I think this is a great idea. Go for it. You won't be able to taste the rye but will benefit from the improved head retention.

Brulosophy experiment with brew Stout with and without flaked barley showed that both beers are almost identical, and my previous experiences with rye malt are malty-sour taste and rich foam. Maybe I should increase the rye malt to 10% to make it feel better, but I wouldn't want it to overpower.

I don't get sour malt from a small addition(1 lb or less in 5.5 gal), but I do get a creamier mouthfeel, and nice head. I would not use it in a dry stout,but all the others are fair game.

A few years ago I made rye beer. I liked it, but I haven't used rye malt since. Now I'm trying to make a copy of Guinness, so I'm reading various instructions on how to make it as faithful as possible. Since I don't have equipment for nitrogen or even carbonation with CO2, I do carbonation with sugar in a bottle. I remembered rye malt. I know that it brings fullness of flavor and strengthening of the foam, and it also has that different taste that, in the amount of about 5% of grist, could imitate the s

A few years ago I made rye beer. I liked it, but I haven't used rye malt since. Now I'm trying to make a copy of Guinness, so I'm reading various instructions on how to make it as faithful as possible. Since I don't have equipment for nitrogen or even carbonation with CO2, I do carbonation with sugar in a bottle. I remembered rye malt. I know that it brings fullness of flavor and strengthening of the foam, and it also has that different taste that, in the amount of about 5% of grist, could imitate the slightly acidified (brett or milk acid) taste of Guinness.

What do you think about that?
Has anyone tried it yet?
You won't get much effect on flavor using only 5%. The closest that I ever got to the sour tanginess of Guinness was when I cold steeped the roast barley overnight, but left it out at room temperature instead of putting it into the fridge.

Latest posts

Back