Rye & Wheat PA, looking for opinions/experiences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randar

Half rib short of a full rack
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to brew a Rye and Wheat Pale Ale in the 45-50 IBU range. Something that has the spicy rye and wheat notes and is a refreshing summer pale ale. I've never brewed with both Rye and Wheat as I am thinking of doing, so I am hoping there are other folks out there who have and are willing to lend any lessons learned or some details on how their brews turned out.

What I am currently thinking is something along the following lines:

50% US 2-row
14% White Wheat
14% Malted Rye
8% Munich (8L)
6% Flaked Rye
4% CaraMunich
4% C-120 (and maybe some victory subbed in for part of the C120, not sure yet)

For hops I am looking at Columbus and/or Magnum for bittering and Columbus/Amarillo/Summit for finishing.

Yeast I plan on splitting my batch onto WY3638 and WY3068.

So, where am I going wrong? What sounds like it would or wouldn't mesh based on your experience?

Fire away!

Looks like a solid recipe to me. The only change I would make is to swap out the flaked rye for more malted, I find that flaked adds a lot of body and not much rye flavor (not what I would look for in a refreshing beer).

I did a hoppy hefe with Amarillo/Cascade and 3068 last summer that is in the top five recipes I've done, so the combination of hops and hefe strains can certainly work. My only real concern is that you have so much going on (expressive malt, yeast, and hops) it is just hard to judge how all of those flavors will go together.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

On the contrary, flaked rye adds more of the spicy notes, while malted has a more complex (but not as assertive) flavor. It's for that very reason that for my RyePA I switched from malted to flaked.

To answer the original question, I might go with more rye...but I'm a rye-head, so take that into consideration.

Wow, very different opinions on this interesting idea. I lover rye and have spent the past five years trying to come up with a roggen recipe that I am happy with, just can't keep from tweeking it. That said, I use 60% malted rye in my roggen. I am looking for as distnct a rye flavor as I can get. I gave up on flaked because I was not able to pull as much of the rye spicy flavor out of it and it seemed to give more of an ester flavor. First I would say that using both the wheat and rye will make pulling the rye flavor tough. I would expect the wheat to cover much of the rye flavor. The second thing is selection of yeast. You can brew with a wheat yeast as you are doing and can expect a sweeter and more fruity flavored beer. I ended up going to an Alt style yeast (WLP 029) to pull a crisper cleaner and less ester taste. I also believe that it enhances the rye flavor. Third, on its best day rye flavor is not strong, it seems like using the finishing hops you have will pretty much cover the rye flavor. I like amarillo and very much like summit in my hoppy beers but would stay away from them both if I wanted the rye flavor. Finaly I understand you are making a RyePA and not a roggen, obviously not the same thing. I think that your concept is very interesting and I might very well give it a try as well. The other idea that comes up as I look at what you are doing is a rye wheat. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents worth in hopes that it gives you more to consider. Good luck! I would like to hear what you end up doing and especially how it turns out.

My only real concern is that you have so much going on (expressive malt, yeast, and hops) it is just hard to judge how all of those flavors will go together.

Thanks, this is something that was bothering me. Seems like I have too much going on, but with 3 (or 4) base malts and 1-2 malts for additional color/depth, just seems to add up quickly. As for the

On the contrary, flaked rye adds more of the spicy notes, while malted has a more complex (but not as assertive) flavor.
This is my understanding as well, at least in smaller quantities, but I have never done a side-by-side myself and only brew with rye once or twice a year.

To answer the original question, I might go with more rye...but I'm a rye-head, so take that into consideration.

20% should give me the subtle crowd-pleaser rye notes. I want something a bit more widely appealing, if you know what I mean? If the grainy spiciness of the rye is too assertive a portion of my target audience is probably going to be turned off by it.

Wow, very different opinions on this interesting idea. I lover rye and have spent the past five years trying to come up with a roggen recipe that I am happy with, just can't keep from tweeking it. That said, I use 60% malted rye in my roggen. I am looking for as distnct a rye flavor as I can get. I gave up on flaked because I was not able to pull as much of the rye spicy flavor out of it and it seemed to give more of an ester flavor. First I would say that using both the wheat and rye will make pulling the rye flavor tough. I would expect the wheat to cover much of the rye flavor. The second thing is selection of yeast. You can brew with a wheat yeast as you are doing and can expect a sweeter and more fruity flavored beer. I ended up going to an Alt style yeast (WLP 029) to pull a crisper cleaner and less ester taste. I also believe that it enhances the rye flavor. Third, on its best day rye flavor is not strong, it seems like using the finishing hops you have will pretty much cover the rye flavor. I like amarillo and very much like summit in my hoppy beers but would stay away from them both if I wanted the rye flavor. Finaly I understand you are making a RyePA and not a roggen, obviously not the same thing. I think that your concept is very interesting and I might very well give it a try as well. The other idea that comes up as I look at what you are doing is a rye wheat. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents worth in hopes that it gives you more to consider. Good luck! I would like to hear what you end up doing and especially how it turns out.

Thanks for the feedback. What I was hoping was that the wheat would be that sort of frontal spiciness and the rye would give you that assertive grainy character in the back of the mouth. We shall see, I suppose!

Columbus works really well in Denny's RyePA and that is rye up to near 20% IIRC, so that is part of where I am getting that from. One of the options I considered is Magnum which has a nice smooth bitterness that might allow the Rye to show through a bit more and not compete with it. I also thought a bit about Centennial or Chinook for the finishing hops. The piney notes of Chinook seemed like they might fit well.

Any specific hops suggestions and if so, what is the reasoning?

Oh, and one last note on the yeast, I plan not to underpitch or ferment warm as typically done for hefe or bavarian wheats to keep the bananas and cloves in check, so to speak. I have done this before and it works well, so I want to try it out on this recipe and see if it holds up given everything else going on here.

I think that your thoughts about using Chinook for bittering sound very interesting. In fact you might consider some for finishing as well, it will give that nice piney flavor and enhance the spicy flavor of the rye. Other possibilities in my mind for finishing are spalter and spalt again because of the spicy flavor and the nice aromatic quality. Haulertau Mittelfrutt also might be a nice finisher because of its herbal qualities both taste and aroma. I have a hard time getting it so that is always a consideration for me.

I think that your thoughts about using Chinook for bittering sound very interesting. In fact you might consider some for finishing as well, it will give that nice piney flavor and enhance the spicy flavor of the rye. Other possibilities in my mind for finishing are spalter and spalt again because of the spicy flavor and the nice aromatic quality. Haulertau Mittelfrutt also might be a nice finisher because of its herbal qualities both taste and aroma. I have a hard time getting it so that is always a consideration for me.

To be clear, I was considering Chinook for part of the finishing schedule because of the flavor/aroma characteristics you noted. Was thinking a clean bittering hop like Columbus or Magnum (or Nugget) would keep it from competing with the wheat and rye. Seems like you're in favor of using noble varieties in a recipe such as this. Can't say I would be against it, really, but perhaps the noble floral/spicy notes would get lost in the malt character.

I had considered the same....noble hop..issue when I wrote. Had not tried to go just noble but that ends up being what I use with both my wheat and rye. In fact brewed my heff this weekend and use total 1 oz haulertau at 60 for that brew. I would agree that there is a possibility of the wheat malt over powering the hop flavor, that will not be the case with the rye, it is just too delicate. Makes me think twice about your original thoughts about hops, maybe just go for broke with US type citrus flavor. The more I think about it, the more I think that one of the early comments someone left was pretty good, maybe you are trying to do too much. I just think that the rye is so mild that it is going to be tough to get the rye flavor unless you build much of the remainder of the recipe around doing just that. There may be better ways to get that spicy rye "type" flavor, just by using hops say, won't be the exact same but could be spicy if that is what you are looking for. You could also just go for RyePA. I have had a couple I liked but I also think they are kind of tough to build again because the rye is so mild. Anyway it is fun trying to think it through.

Well, I ended up going with Columbus and Magnum @ 60 which should be pretty smooth, then Columbus @ 20, Centennial at 10, and Chinook at 2.

We shall see how it turn out. Yes, lots going on here and I may regret going with the bavarian wheat yeasts based on the initial smell from the blow-off tubes, but you never know how it's all going to mesh when you have this much going on.

Back