Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Pure opinion question.
What would play better in a RyePA with Green Bullet: Hornindal, Voss, (both Omega) or Oslo (BB)?

I was planning on fermenting at a lower temp (75-80°F) and typical sacc-like pitch rates to achieve a (relatively) cleaner/more subtle yeast profile and make way for the rye and hops to shine through. However, I haven't had a chance to use any of these cultures at these lower temps, so I can't predict how their respective profiles will play with the rye & Green Bullet.

As this is a brew for my club's Iron Brewer challenge, I'll also be "dry beaning" with coffee. Any thoughts?

I would say you might not get any direct experience, That is a pretty specific recipe and new yeasts that most probably have not used.

My example: I only brewed a couple of rye recipes, never used Green Bullet, or any of those yeasts.

I would go Voss, personally. All the reports I've read about that yeast have indicated a nice orangey aroma/taste, which would go well with a rye pale ale IMO.

The only one I've used myself is Oslo, which is very neutral if that's what you prefer.

I would go Voss, personally. All the reports I've read about that yeast have indicated a nice orangey aroma/taste, which would go well with a rye pale ale IMO.

The only one I've used myself is Oslo, which is very neutral if that's what you prefer.
Nice, thanks. That's the way i'm currently leaning. I'm actually doing a double batch of this wort and splitting it post-mash: Planning on doing the RyePA on half with the Voss (75°F), then a more mellow/smoother blonde rye for the other half with Oslo (80°F) and Sterling/Columbia.

I just did a brown ale destined for a bourbon barrel with Oslo and it went 1.075 to 1.014 in 36 hours at 80-85F. Tastes great. Totally neutral.

Latest posts

Back