S-05 Krausen still present?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYShooterGuy

Reaction score
5 gallon Milk stout made on 10/24/2018. Lagered in garage with temps ranging from 54-42°F for 3 weeks. Moved to inside home with temps ranging from 60-67°F (I like my home cool) about 10 days ago.

Went to bottle today, and found Krausen still afloat. OG: 1.055. Today's SG: 1.018.

Obviously I need to let it keep working, I was just surprised that warming it up over 10 days ago would not have completed the conversion.

Typical for this to happen, or what did I do wrong?

Thanks to all for your advise, wisdom, wise-cracks, etc!
20181130_123810.jpg
20181130_123810.jpg

You fermented that low? Yeah it may or may not be done, but let it sit at room temp for a few days and take another reading and see if it's changed. It might drop another couple points but your FG is within proper range of the style.

couple things...

S-05 isn't a lager yeast...It's sweet spot is 65* +/- a couple...could let it go warm for another week just to see if it helps

could also be done, it is a milk stout after all....I can't get mine down past 1.028 or so b/c of the lactose

next time, do it in reverse. a week or two inside the house to ferment out, then a week in the garage to drop out

Back