Sam Adam's Blackberry Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmith179

Reaction score
Hey all... Just went up to the local bottle shop and found a sixer of this Blackberry Witbier by Sam Adam's. Any opinions of this? Actually picked it up for the girl because she loves flavored beers. She hated it. I personally thought it was bearable, but I can't believe this is really a commercial beer (and has won AWARDS!). Anyone else have the opportunity to have a taste of this brew?

I've still got a bottle of this from the sixer i picked up. I didn't care much for it myself, the blackberry was too strong. I don't mind fruit flavored beers but this was too much.

Better than their cherry wheat, but otherwise forgettable. Artificial flavor and aroma that totally overpowers the witbier. I'll take Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss over this one.

I generally avoid Sam Adams beers these days. I like their Oktoberfest, and their Boston Lager is decent, but there is MUCH better stuff out there that isn't a whole lot more expensive.

I will pick up the Longshot pack if I can find it this year to taste McDole's Double IPA, but I am not getting my hopes up.

When do those LongShots come out, does anyone know? I love listening to him on the Jamil show and would love to finally taste something from them. Then again, I could just buy their book and start brewing their recipies...

I agree about the artificial flavor in the Sam Adams Blackberry as well. I think this would have been much better with some bitterness possibly from fresh fruits, bateria cultures, etc...

i have 3 bottles left from the 6 pack. i took them out of the fridge and put them in storage so when im short a bottle or two when bottling i will have a couple. doubt i will drink them though.

I like all beer...havent ever been a huge fan of fruit flavored beer but this one i really really dug...super crisp and clean and really refreshing, the blackberry gives a wonderful nose was actually lookin around for a clone recipe lol

I was apprehensive about this beer because I am not big on fruit in my beer. However, I tried this and love it. Very good, not that fruity.

I love blackberries so when I saw this, I bought it. It was very upsetting though. I only got two sips in and my roommate had to drink the rest of the 6 pack. The fake blackberry flavor was disgusting. It says it uses real blackberries but that has to be a lie. My grandfather has been growing and giving me fresh blackberries since my earliest memories and they taste nothing like the crap in this beer

That stuff is nasty. I've said before that Noble Pils is my favorite SA. The Blackberry Witbier is the worst. I can't even believe they call it Beer!

I picked up a sixer of this and I love it! I came on here to review it and couldn't believe all the negative reviews. The blackberry is strong but not overpowering and I would definitely try to clone this brew.

I also picked up a sixer of the SA longshot brews. Those were absolutely amazing. They were strong and well balanced but I did care for the lemon pepper saisson.

I tried one tonight and wow.... I am not a fan... I've been curious about how fruit extracts taste and smell. Now I know. I recently brewed a berry wheat beer with real blackberries and blueberries in it. Blackberries give a nice sour note from the acid in the fruit, but they certainly don't smell and taste like that.

For those who do like the beer and want to brew it. Find a decent wit beer recipe (there are some good ones on this site). Reduce or completely skip the orange peel and coriander. Then add liquid blackberry extract until it smells and tastes right.

I had this a year or two ago, so I don't remember it too much, but I didn't mind it. I enjoy their Noble Pils and Octoberfest and their Boston Lager is decent too.

Blackberry Wit is gross imo. Boston Lager, Noble Pils, Oktoberfest, Latitude 48, Winter Lager and Boston Ale are all great.

Back