Sam Adams Summer Ale 2010?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with soapy dishwater mixed with beer...I took 3 drinks just to be sure and dumped the bottle...

After drinking a few I can definitely say the taste is different this year. I've never been a summer ale fan, but my gf loved it in past years. She agrees it tastes like piss this year.

It's definitely a little different this year, I've had a twelve pack that I've been trying to finish since the beginning of May. It almost seems like it has too much lemon, almost like one of those half lemonade half beer beers.

I went to the SA Brewery in Boston when I was back home in July, this years SA Summer Ale is completely unfiltered. It's the first time that they have done that. Yes the brewery in MA is only for R/D and any specialty beers that are only to be served/sold in Boston like the Boston Brick Red that is only available on tap in bars in the city (awesome btw) They also brew the Utopias there in Boston, I took all that I had in me not to try and roll a barrel out the door with me.

I think one of the prime reasons for SA Summer to not being up to par any longer is due to a few things... Out of the keg... sits too long or improperly stored or transported by the entity serving it to you, this also goes for the bottles. Also since most of the brews are actually now made in the old Latrobe brewery in PA they are using their water there... I don't know how much actual treatment goes in over at that brewery, but they are in the same water area as yuengling, lion's head, and keystone...

There's a reason why Yuengling is refered to as Pottsville Pisswater.

It has an odd sour or astringent bite to it for sure, reminds me of when I ferment Nottingham Ale yeast on the cold side. I haven't had a good SA for quite some time. 5 years ago there Octoberfest was one of my favorite beers...now it is so watery and uneventful.

It has an odd sour or astringent bite to it for sure, reminds me of when I ferment Nottingham Ale yeast on the cold side. I haven't had a good SA for quite some time. 5 years ago there Octoberfest was one of my favorite beers...now it is so watery and uneventful.

I agree about the Oktoberfest as well...

Used to be much better a few years ago... I now stick with Paulaner and my local favorite from Thomas Hooker Brewing...

Every year, it feels like the Summer Ale takes forever to roll out of rotation. I'm not necessarily defending their Oktoberfest, but it's my favorite of the four SA seasonals, and it seems to take forever to get past those summer ales.

SA had the best Winter Larger around 1997...hasn't been the same since....Thank God for Harpoons' Winter Warmer...always the same, and always delicious

SA had the best Winter Larger around 1997...hasn't been the same since....Thank God for Harpoons' Winter Warmer...always the same, and always delicious

Amen to that... thats my favorite winter beer... if you don't count in my barley wines and Wee heavy's

Also since most of the brews are actually now made in the old Latrobe brewery in PA they are using their water there... I don't know how much actual treatment goes in over at that brewery, but they are in the same water area as yuengling, lion's head, and keystone...

There's a reason why Yuengling is refered to as Pottsville Pisswater.

Latrobe is on the opposite side of the Commonwealth from Pottsville and Wilkes-Barre, and in a completely different watershed, on the opposite side of the Eastern Continental Divide. It is physically impossible for them to share a natural water source.

my appologies... I am speaking in regards to Pottsville with Yuengling... I have issues with Yuengling, Lions Head and Rolling Rock.... Personal issue not related... thanks for pointing out the correct geography.

I've only drank it twice... Once because I'd never had it and the price of $10.36 per case of 24 seemed like a killer deal, and a second time because I was drunk, in college and didnt care what it tasted like... After getting sick on it both times, and tasting pretty much the same profiles in Yuengling, Rock, and Keystone, I've got a very big chip on my shoulder about the quality and or taste of the Mass produced PA beer.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but there is likely a 90% chance the recipe is the same. Breweries rarely risk changing recipes due to risky profit margins. More likely is your taste perceptions have changed from last year.

I am almost positive blue moon changed their recipe slightly this spring to be a little more orange than before, at least in their bottles. It felt like they put a little orange slice in the bottle.

I was under the impression that recipes are always changing, to account for different yields from hops and grains

Also, for bluemoon, the recipe has changed many times over the past few years because they keep moving where its brewed. A recipe brewed in mile high colorado and that same recipe brewed in the south, will come out very different.

I used to like it but now I think it tastes like soap. It's sad cause it used to be one of my fav's of summer. I don't know what is different but no longer a fan.

Back