Sanitizing Flip Top Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperlester

Reaction score
Oh yes, asked and answered repeatedly here, I know (put away the pitchforks and stop screaming that I'm a sinner), it's a different question.

Do you leave the baskets and gaskets on when you soak in StarSan, or remove and clean differently?

My thoughts are the gaskets will need to be replaced naturally about as frequently as if they're subjected to the sanitizer for a few minutes, and as long as they don't sit wet, the baskets shouldn't corrode... But I'm new to this (first bottling is this weekend), so I really don't know squat :)

I pull the gaskets off of the cap but leave the cap and basket on the bottle. I figure this lets me check for gunk in the rim of the cap and the inside of the gasket.

I dunk the whole thing after washing.. Guess im lazy here but Ive never had an infection or even had to replace gaskets yet in almost 4 years so... then again the bottles im using are old and the gaskets may be a better quality material then the newer china stuff..

I also leave them assembled. I StarSan the inside of the bottles with a vinator and dunk the lid/gasket in the StarSan before putting it on my bottle tree to await filling. Never had an infection, but my beer leads a gentle life (bottles are stored, refridgerated and served within a 10 foot radius) so there is not much splashing in the bottle and so the beer probably never touched the lid/gasket.

I also leave them assembled. I StarSan the inside of the bottles with a vinator and dunk the lid/gasket in the StarSan before putting it on my bottle tree to await filling. Never had an infection, but my beer leads a gentle life (bottles are stored, refridgerated and served within a 10 foot radius) so there is not much splashing in the bottle and so the beer probably never touched the lid/gasket.
This is my exact process as well.

Wait, I don’t have to replace the gaskets every time?! Fantastic!

Wait, I don’t have to replace the gaskets every time?! Fantastic!
Nope. If I open a bottle and it is flat ( or obviously not as carbed as the rest of the batch) I pull the gasket off right away and replace it when I am cleaning bottles for the next batch. The gaskets I am getting seem to last 5-6 batches, and cost me $6.00/100pcs

Nope. If I open a bottle and it is flat ( or obviously not as carbed as the rest of the batch) I pull the gasket off right away and replace it when I am cleaning bottles for the next batch. The gaskets I am getting seem to last 5-6 batches, and cost me $6.00/100pcs
Why do they fail on you so quickly? I've been using all mine for over 4 years now without a single issue..

SO you'll find that if you ask 10 brewers how they do things, you'll get 10 answers that are all as good as the other. I take the cage off but leave the gasket on. After each use I rinse the bottle out with hot water. When its time to bottle I spray the inside of all the bottles with a few oz of Star San and shake them a few times. I drop all the cage assembles in sanitizer and let them soak. I normally bottle 4 bottles then attach the cages and seal them.

Why do they fail on you so quickly? I've been using all mine for over 4 years now without a single issue..
Probably because they are not the same quality as the original Grolsch gaskets. The "real" (for lack of a better word) gaskets are not available everywhere near me, and when they are they run $.25 a piece. The ones I am using are easy for me to get and cost $.06 each. Sure they may only last me 1/4 the time, but at 1/4 the cost they are the same price long term.
How many fills does each of your bottles see in that 4 year span?

I had some issues with batch 2 of my EZ cap bottles and total failure of the gaskets on the third batch. Flip tops are super cool, but the gaskets need to be changed out every time from my experience with the rubber gaskets, maybe the silicone are better. I think I’ll try them soon.

Probably because they are not the same quality as the original Grolsch gaskets. The "real" (for lack of a better word) gaskets are not available everywhere near me, and when they are they run $.25 a piece. The ones I am using are easy for me to get and cost $.06 each. Sure they may only last me 1/4 the time, but at 1/4 the cost they are the same price long term.
How many fills does each of your bottles see in that 4 year span?
More than 4 or 5 more like 10 or so. These gaskets came installed on these bottles when I bought a couple cases used ... Currently about half are full of a Belgian Dubbel.

2017-12-31 09.24.06.jpg
IMG_20171231_092302764.jpg

Last edited:
Back