Sanke Fermenter Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niederhofer

Reaction score
OK, so this may sound like a stupid question. I took the stem out of a sanke keg to use it as a fermenter. I put a stopper and airlock in the top, and it's about time to pull out my Apfelwein.

Can I just put the stem back in and pump it right out with the commercial disconnect? If so, do I need to work that retaining spring back into it?

I plan on moving it off the yeast into a keg for consuming now, and two secondaries for continued aging. The idea is to have a closed transfer.

Thanks in advance!

OK, so this may sound like a stupid question. I took the stem out of a sanke keg to use it as a fermenter. I put a stopper and airlock in the top, and it's about time to pull out my Apfelwein.

Can I just put the stem back in and pump it right out with the commercial disconnect? If so, do I need to work that retaining spring back into it?

I plan on moving it off the yeast into a keg for consuming now, and two secondaries for continued aging. The idea is to have a closed transfer.

Thanks in advance!
That retaining spring is a safety device. I would very much advice to use it.

Using the commercial disconnect its very very possible to move the tube into the removable position and with pressure in the keg, you could launch the tube into the ceiling or yourself.

Don't take chance's

Have a Merry Christmas

Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

+1 put the retaining ring back in! Then you can use CO2 to transfer to your cornies or other Sanke kegs. That first transfer will also have quite a bit of yeast in it, just an FYI.

I do the same thing with an orange carboy cap and racking cane. I guess I'm a little ghetto. ;0)

I do the same thing with an orange carboy cap and racking cane. I guess I'm a little ghetto. ;0)

Where do you get a racking cane that goes to the bottom of a sanke? Seems like it's quite a bit deeper than a regular cane goes.

Also, what size carboy cap do you use? The 3,5,6 gallon or the 6 1/2 gallon cap? Do you use a stainless or a plastic cane?

My LHBS has them, there are longer and shorter ones. The longer ones reach all the way to the bottom for me. If you can't get your hands on one you could order some polycarbonate tubing from McMaster Carr.

Make sure that the Sankey coupler and spear are super clean and sanitized, there are a lot of nooks and crannies that junk can hide in. I'd be more afraid of the crud behind/between the seals in a sankey than I would be about a bit of atmosphere. Purging the kegs that the apfelwein is going into should be sufficient, as there is a blanket of co2 over your apfelwein already from fermentation

Do you know what size cap you use?

Orange 5gal cap, the racking cane is plastic. You could probably make one from some stainless brake line and a tubing bender if you were so inclined. Or, like I said before you could pick up some polycarbonate tubing from McMaster Carr.

Very Nice! Out of curiosity, why use a drilled stopper to hold your airlock instead of the carboy cap?

Closed-system pressurized fermentation

Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

Spunding_Valve.JPG

had the stopper laying around. Figured I'd brew first figure out how to get it out later...

Ok, I went to my lhbs and picked up an orange cap and racking cane, along with some extra tubing for the transfer. Do you just put the plastic tip on the cane and push it all the way to the bottom? I was wondering if that would pick up too much sediment...

I don't put it all the way down - about 3/4 and I only lower it as needed to keep the transfer as clean as possible.

I just transfered 15+ gallons lastnight :)

Cheers

Back