Seems like many are returning to home brewing....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
....or at least it looks that way to me.

Anyone else notice an increase in the number of "new" members who gave up brewing for any number of reasons, and now are getting back into it?

There has been discussion over the last year or so about the decline in home brewing. Not sure how true that is, but it sure seems to be the case to me. And yet, I've been struck by the number of new posters--or older posters who are back--who gave up brewing for a while and are now coming back to it.

I wonder if advances in home brewing have contributed to this, i.e., things like BIAB, better equipment, better yeast choices, etc.

Thoughts on this?

Anyone else notice an increase in the number of "new" members who gave up brewing for any number of reasons, and now are getting back into it?

There has been discussion over the last year or so about the decline in home brewing. Not sure how true that is, but it sure seems to be the case to me. And yet, I've been struck by the number of new posters--or older posters who are back--who gave up brewing for a while and are now coming back to it.

I wonder if advances in home brewing have contributed to this, i.e., things like BIAB, better equipment, better yeast choices, etc.

Thoughts on this?
I would think it's increasing as time goes on because there's more craft drinkers all the time and I think those are the people that generally start brewing. Additionally the better equipment and ingredients probably also help. Cheers

I began brewing in the 90(s). I like making stuff: smoked and cured meats, pickles, bread, etc. brewing was simply an extension to that ‘maker’ side of me. However, I was also in the Army and was reassigned to Europe. I laid off and never picked it back up until AL passed legislation making homebrew legal in 2013. I told my wife I think I’ll get back into it. I imagine others lay off for one reason or another and something triggers their return.

Last edited:

Thoughts on this?

I expect the things you mentioned might have a lot to do with it but I'd be surprised if some of the resurgence isn't because a lot of the offerings from the thousands of craft breweries springing up everywhere just aren't as good as what former home brewers used to make at home.

I expect the things you mentioned might have a lot to do with it but I'd be surprised if some of the resurgence isn't because a lot of the offerings from the thousands of craft breweries springing up everywhere just aren't as good as what former home brewers used to make at home.
Moved away for work new home no longer has brew stores closer thy an four hours away...on to of that no friends or family to help empty the kegs... leaving a lot more beer to drink on my own, can't move it near fast enough to keep the supply chain flowing new hire is into stout, and guy I hired before last busy season is into DIPA.. got the makings of output for my outlet... good to be excited about brewing again

Like brewzur said, I think there are many people who have life changes and have to move for a job, have kids, get married, buy a house, etc., where the labor of brewing makes it more difficult. But it doesn't take much to get the itch to start brewing again and I am starting to see an uptick as well. I have two neighbors coming over tomorrow to join in the process of making beer.

I started in '08 and have taken a few breaks from brewing due to work, living in an apartment, having a kid, and just life happening but have been brewing consistently since 2013 with the exception of fall due to coaching football.

When I moved back to Illinois from NC in '09 there were no quality brew stores within 2 hours but with the improvement of online brew stores, the overall quality, and having my 'last resort' brew store 45 minutes away, it is much easier to start brewing.

Many people get turned off by the amount of time it takes for a brew day. Of course the first few they enjoy because you are creating something but after a few brews (especially the bad ones) it starts to become too much work and it's hard to get that motivation back. I remember my first All Grain brew day was almost 11 hours from milling with a Corona Mill to Cooling the Wort in a bath tub.

Didn't take me long to realized brew stores do a pretty decent job of milling the grain and I can always add DME if efficiency is low, investing in some essential items like a Wort Chiller, and just finding a process to multi-task while other things are happening. Now my brew day runs 4-6 hours depending on boil and whether or not I clean equipment the night before.

wait...people quit brewing? lol

Yeah because they got drunk on their homebrew when they started and drank with the wife and you know what happens next. Then the kids come along and you have no time until they go to college and leave the nest and then you’re back to homebrewing again!

Yeah because they got drunk on their homebrew when they started and drank with the wife and you know what happens next. Then the kids come along and you have no time until they go to college and leave the nest and then you’re back to homebrewing again!

thank god i don't have problems like that! lol :mug:

Like others have said, life can get in the way. I started about 10 years ago, brewed for a little over 6. Then I moved into a small one bedroom apartment with my wife in North Jersey and it just wasn't feasible.

Then I met a fellow craft beer fanatic at the local bar who happened to own a house two blocks down the street, and I introduced somebody else to homebrewing. I still had my BIAB setup but we both have more disposable income than we used to so we've expanded a bit. We make some pretty good stuff now, I gotta say.

Another recent returnee here. I spent 3-4 years as an avid home brewer in the late 2000's, then life, career, etc. put that on hold. Now that things are on track, it's a lot of fun to be back. I'd imagine a lot of folks from that era of the home brewing boom are in similar positions. It's so much easier to find really good quality beer now, though, both from local breweries and from larger regional/national craft breweries. I imagine that's a disincentive to quite a few.

i took a break for about a month because my girlfriend works as an international tour guide, and before she went on her next tour (lasts 3 months), she wanted to spend more time together. After she left now I have time to brew, and today just did my 4th brew in 5 weeks :D

I don't think brewers ever quit, just circumstances happen. Either that or we get lazy but eventually get tired of drinking or overpaying for **** store bought beer

I've only been a member here for 3 1/2 years, and we've always had people who, given life changes such as having children, made the right choice and stopped brewing.

But lately, it just seems like there are a lot more people returning to brewing.

I was mostly wondering A) whether anyone else had come to the same conclusion, and if so, B) what this means for home brewing.

It does seem like there are a lot of returnees lately. I don't know the reason. I guess each has his/her own reason.

In my case I had almost a year fixing up my house for sale then moving. I did not leave HBT during that time though.

When I started in 2011 I had the bug bad. At one point I had 12 different beers on hand bottled. Ranging from 6 bottles to 54 bottle of each. If I had half a batch average that would have been about 300 bottles of beer. Seems about right, though I never counted all of them. Right now my pipeline is dry. I am brewing an IPA today though.

I have not picked up that pace since, but now that I am pretty settled in my new place I hope to brew more often.

I've only been a member here for 3 1/2 years, and we've always had people who, given life changes such as having children, made the right choice and stopped brewing.

But lately, it just seems like there are a lot more people returning to brewing.

I was mostly wondering A) whether anyone else had come to the same conclusion, and if so, B) what this means for home brewing.

The right choice? Not sure I get you there. Tell me more about that. Great topic mongoose.

To me, there would be a lot more home brewers if people ran into me. I could tell them how easy it is and how fast it can be and you only need a pot etc. It can be cheap and fun.

Too often new brewers run into people, and I wont mention any names, if a new brewer runs into them they will likely never see a place for themselves brewing. Brewing has to be some huge trip, it's got to be the best, world class, otherwise just go buy it. Anyone want to venture a guess how many times I have been told on this forum, why dont I just go buy beer if I am going to fill in the blank (not use fermentation fridge, warm ferment lagers, brew quick, etc). Think about the meaning of just go buy it. That means why dont you not hb! And why, because I dont believe in everything they believe?

It could take a whole weekend, you have to have all this equipment, lodo!, mash ph, water chemistry, refractometers, calculations, and on and on. The new brewers are going I dont think I can do all that. The aha stated brewers were white men in their 40s with beards who are scientist's.

When I first started I was told, and those muppets still believe that, at a lhbs in Denver that Biab wasn't "real" brewing. It was some less than brewing technique. Heck someone on this thread was involved in a 5 page argument about how 3v was the only way to brew.

I mean no offense by any of this, but if we want more new brewers, some of us need to tone down our beliefs a little when dealing with new brewers. When's the last time someone on this thread said to a new brewer, hell, you dont even have to boil the wort and you can make beer. I have. Some of you may think that was wrong of me. But it's so true. A new brewer could dump extract, water, hops and yeast in a bucket and have a plenty quaffable beer. If I would have listened to the guys at the lhbs and trusted them, I wouldn't be brewing either.

To answer the question I believe brewing will remain on the decline until, and it's already happening, things like gf and zymatic become cheaper, and two brew dogma is not shared with new brewers.

Who knows? Lots of factors contribute, but the hobby is established, and the equipment is cheaper and better than it ever has been.

BIAB with Anvil and Digiboil systems are game changers as far I am concerned, but I bet it won't change things for awhile.

Not everyone is going to start with those systems, but the people that want to go deeper and do all grain are going to get more control with less money.

The other thing that is changed right now is the economy. People are coming in now for a very different reason than the people who came in during the recession.

The landscape seemed really different when I started in 2008, but a lot has changed that is making good beer at home more user friendly, and I hope that means more people will stick with it past the inevitable bad beer or two.

Biggest boom in homebrewing was during the recession.

Cheers!

When I first started I was told, and those muppets still believe that, at a lhbs in Denver that Biab wasn't "real" brewing. It was some less than brewing technique. Heck someone on this thread was involved in a 5 page argument about how 3v was the only way to brew.

I stopped listening to the advice from clerks at the LHBS a long time ago. They tell you what they need to say to sell you more stuff. That's sales. My most recent conversation with one of those guys went like this:

Me: "Do you have White Labs ____ in stock?"
LHBS Dude: "What are you brewing?"
Me: "Do you have it in stock or not?"
LHBS Dude: "Well, if you tell me what you're brewing, I might be able to suggest something better."
Me: "I know what I want. Do you have it, or do I need to order it online, along with all the other ingredients I was originally planning to buy here today?"
LHBS Dude: "Second cooler, top shelf."

If I wanted hand-holding, I would've asked.

No doubt, exactly. But what's worse? That or my shop where they act like they effing know everything about brewing but dont know what campden is.

No doubt, exactly. But what's worse? That or my shop where they act like they effing know everything about brewing but dont know what campden is.

There's an art to retail sales, especially for specialized products like brewing supplies. One one extreme is the place where the employees ignore you. The other is when they hover over you. Some middle ground is needed, and it's not hard to greet the customer and ask, "if you need help with anything or have questions, just let me know."

I rarely need help, as I have completely thought out my recipe, and it's just a matter of picking up what I need.

I stopped listening to the advice from clerks at the LHBS a long time ago. They tell you what they need to say to sell you more stuff. That's sales. My most recent conversation with one of those guys went like this:

Me: "Do you have White Labs ____ in stock?"
LHBS Dude: "What are you brewing?"
Me: "Do you have it in stock or not?"
LHBS Dude: "Well, if you tell me what you're brewing, I might be able to suggest something better."
Me: "I know what I want. Do you have it, or do I need to order it online, along with all the other ingredients I was originally planning to buy here today?"
LHBS Dude: "Second cooler, top shelf."

If I wanted hand-holding, I would've asked.

Haha, I sometimes get that sideways look when I say I only use dry yeast I buy from Amazon. Yeah my beer might not win gold medals (though idk for sure, I never had any interest in entering contests), but I get some good beers as a result. Enough so that I don't feel the need to buy some fancy liquid yeast for $10-$15 when I can get US-05 for $3.

And even when I got curious and used that liquid yeast, I've always ended up disappointed. Dry yeasts get a bad rap but I've had my best beers so far using US-05 and WB-06.

But the LHBS is a necessary evil for me. Shipping grains to Hawaii is ridiculously expensive, so I have to go there to get my grains. I probably wouldn't be brewing if not for that store (paying more for shipping than the actual grains, and extract brewing isn't my thing), luckily the people there are nice.

I agree people are returning to home brewing, and for lots of different reasons.

I started home brewing in 2004 and brewed for about 1 year. Back then I did not take the time to read and learn the process. It was more about trial and error with lots of error and stuff floating around in my beer. I was still proud of what I was making at the time even though it did not taste very good. [emoji12]
I just did not want to spend the time to put in the effort and learn the process at the time.
In 2015 I was ready to dive back into home brewing. I read books and planed / budgeted for my equipment for 2 years before making a batch of beer. I enjoy the art and science of brewing, the constant learning, and sharing my beer with friends and coworkers.

Another data point checking in.

My reason for stopping was a house move. The stuff ended up in boxes in the basement and it took a long time (~4yrs) to get over the inertia and start up again a month or two ago. But since starting up I've been hooked to a greater extent than I ever was before.

When's the last time someone on this thread said to a new brewer, hell, you dont even have to boil the wort and you can make beer.

I mentioned the recipe, by @Steveruch, that appears in Zymurgy magazine's Aug/Sept 2019 issue a couple of days ago. Does that count? :yes:

It takes time (one to two years?) for ideas to move between books, magazines, conference presentations, blogs, and forums.
  • Cold extraction? HomeBrewCon in summer 2016 -> blogs in summer 2017 -> /r/homebrewing with 1.5% ABV saisons in 2018.
  • Basic Brewing's "Hop Sampler": 6 - 12 months from initial podcast to discussions over in "One Gallon Brewers ...". Another 6 months to become often mentioned over in /r/homebrewing
  • "No boil" (be sure to pasteurize the wort) approaches in early 2019: was "Hop Sampler" the inspiration for talking about this topic at HBT?
  • What about all-grain water chemistry using just measuring spools or scales (no need to "dial in" a spreadsheet)? Already covered in "Brewing Better Beer" (Strong, 2011) and "HomeBrew: Beyond the basics" (Karnowski, 2018).
  • Ideas from a pair of new books ("Simple Homebrewing" and "The New IPA") should start showing in forums in the next 6 to 12 months. 6 to 12 months after that, anticipate new ideas on brewing simpler; and new ideas for hops and hop oils in styles other than IPAs.

To answer the question I believe brewing will remain on the decline ...

I think :cool: "the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades" :cool:

The right choice? Not sure I get you there. Tell me more about that. Great topic mongoose.

To me, there would be a lot more home brewers if people ran into me. I could tell them how easy it is and how fast it can be and you only need a pot etc. It can be cheap and fun.

Too often new brewers run into people, and I wont mention any names, if a new brewer runs into them they will likely never see a place for themselves brewing. Brewing has to be some huge trip, it's got to be the best, world class, otherwise just go buy it. Anyone want to venture a guess how many times I have been told on this forum, why dont I just go buy beer if I am going to fill in the blank (not use fermentation fridge, warm ferment lagers, brew quick, etc). Think about the meaning of just go buy it. That means why dont you not hb! And why, because I dont believe in everything they believe?

It could take a whole weekend, you have to have all this equipment, lodo!, mash ph, water chemistry, refractometers, calculations, and on and on. The new brewers are going I dont think I can do all that. The aha stated brewers were white men in their 40s with beards who are scientist's.

I mean no offense by any of this, but if we want more new brewers, some of us need to tone down our beliefs a little when dealing with new brewers. When's the last time someone on this thread said to a new brewer, hell, you dont even have to boil the wort and you can make beer. I have. Some of you may think that was wrong of me. But it's so true. A new brewer could dump extract, water, hops and yeast in a bucket and have a plenty quaffable beer. If I would have listened to the guys at the lhbs and trusted them, I wouldn't be brewing either.

To answer the question I believe brewing will remain on the decline until, and it's already happening, things like gf and zymatic become cheaper, and two brew dogma is not shared with new brewers.
I prefer not to sugar coat it as that almost caused me to give up early on when I couldn't make a beer as well as my favorite commercial examples. I always tell new brewers the same thing. Making drinkable beer is very easy and making beer like your favorite commercial examples is alot more difficult. That way if there not satisfied with there first brews as alot often are they don't just give up. Additionally I recommend starting off with biab and that while fancier more advanced equipment may make things easier or more repeatable there definitely not required. Cheers

Last edited:
I am new to brewing but I think that people are able to return to brewing for similar reasons I was able to start. I had looked into brewing back in the 2000s but what I saw were big expensive 3 vessel systems or people saying how crappy extract was. Living in BFE Minnesota, 65 miles from a lhbs, only dirt floor sheds and kids made it a nonstarter.
Move ahead to last year when I made mead which was fun and started watching basic brewing tv and learned about biab and it was not some expensive mysterious thing to do. I repurposed my wife's canning pot, made an extract pale ale and was hooked.

Last edited:
I prefer not to sugar coat it as that almost caused me to give up early on when I couldn't make a beer as well as my favorite commercial examples. I always tell new brewers the same thing. Making drinkable beer is very easy and making beer like your favorite commercial examples is alot more difficult. That way if there not satisfied with there first brews as alot often are they don't just give up. Additionally I recommend starting off with biab and that while fancier more advanced equipment may make things easier or more repeatable there definitely not required. Cheers
I am ok with that thinking. That gives a more realistic spectrum from no boil to lodo and beyond. Some might go full monty and others just enough to make beer. The problem is all too often I talk to new brewers who have been turned off by too much info. As Dr. Covey said, we should give them a drink, not the garden hose on full. I like the previous post from you and those are great ideas. Need to look into some of those references. I appreciate your quoting of me but, I want to add that I put conditions where brewing numbers could improve. First, anvil, gf, and zymatic making more automation and second inviting brewers to brew sessions or teaching how easy and rewarding brewing ca be. Interesting topic. I think aha has actual numbers?

I started in 2011, but I looked into it a few years before that. The recession had nothing to do with my decision to start brewing. It was just something that I found interesting and decided to try it.

20.00 bucks a 12 pack gets to be 160. a month, with company and thats if you do not even go to your local brewery....
Now it's 4.00 a 12 pack of delicious TAX FREE Nectar. After you get a pot, fermentor, and a couple other sundries out of the way, prob cheaper if you want to use all grain and go 10g batches

I started brewing a long time ago, just after I got out of college. I brewed off and on with "busy" years being around 10 batches (5 gal). I took a 2.5 year break. Part of the reason that stopped brewing was that there was just so much good commercial beer around...both local breweries and bottle shops.

A big reason that I started brewing again...was because there was so much good commercial beer around! I was constantly walking out of the beer store with a couple imperial stouts, a barrel sour and a 4 pack for $80. It was hard not to think that instead of 1 gal of beer, I could have made 15 gals for the same cost.

This forum has been a great source of info to help me improve the quality of my beers. I made a number of process changes (BIAB, Water Chemistry, Ferm Temp Control, Closed Keg Transfers, etc.), I am focusing on improving my core recipes (like Pale Ale, West Coast IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Porter), I am doing a number of experimental and hop sampler batches, and I am working towards making some of those big beers that I was spending $15+ a bottle on.

Space and time have been my main factors. A 1000 sf condo for 3 people wasn’t enough space and being away from home 12 - 18 hours a day because of ferry schedules left me no time. Now I’m back in a bigger place and I’m not ferry dependent.

Sure, I could have possibly moved down in brewing scale but I didn’t want to go through another cycle of buying equipment. Easier just to drink martinis, whiskey, & margaritas for 4 years and wait until I can get back to 5 - 10 gallon batches.

Not "back" but "getting into" over the last couple years because of the phase I'm in of my life. Used to be heavy into some other hobbies that required a lot of space, at least to do them the way I wanted to do them. 5 years ago we moved for a better school and I lost my pole barn so I had to develop new interests. Now we are ~1 year from being empty nesters but really already half way there because once they get a license and job they get pretty busy on their own. Its a good hobby for me...I like to tinker, the science is interesting, I like beer, etc. My brewery will never be done because I'll always want to be trying a new technique, improving equipment, etc. I did the same with woodworking and there's always some project I'm planning or executing on the house.

The right choice? Not sure I get you there. Tell me more about that.

Family obligations before brewing, things like that.

Great topic mongoose.

Thanks. I'm a sociologist and when I see what looks like changing trends in behavior, I have to try to figure out the genesis of that change. @Stand notes the role of the great recession in all this, and @passedpawn indicates 2012 was the peak here, which is consistent with @Stand's idea.

I was looking for two things: first, if others have seen this trend or am I just dreaming it or mistaking the data. Second, the why.

I read a lot of things about the state of the economy, joblessness, people being able to make ends meet, and there seems to be a bifurcating economy--lots of people doing well, but maybe just as many doing poorly. Lots of indicators right now that we're heading into another recession, which would be one possible reason for an uptick in people returning to homebrewing.

I've wondered if I am no longer the best ambassador for encouraging people to brew. My setup has grown and I've gotten so much into weird things (Lodo, etc.) that a newbie is probably going to be intimidated or turned off by it. So I have to be careful locally. I can encourage here on HBT, and I do, and I have experience with both traditional mash tun and BIAB so I can speak knowledgeably on both, but when people see my setup, they can't see themselves getting there due to cost.

Actually, that's why I think new brewers should focus on process, not ingredients. IMO, the best way for a new brewer to start is to have someone make all the choices for them (recipe, water, crush, temps, etc.), with the new brewer telling them what style they'd like to brew. Then walk them through the process. I did that with a buddy; he wanted to brew an IPA, chose a recipe, I did all the ingredients, the starter, got the water right, etc. etc. etc. All he had to do was brew, and then, when the time came, he could figure out if he wanted why the water was right, the mash temp was right, ferm temp was right, all of that.

Not that hard to intimidate/turn off new brewers with arcane language and obscure brewing techniques. All that does is trumpet how smart someone thinks they are. I remember when I was a newbie how ignorant I was about brewing and all this stuff I now know. I really do remember.

I think that's funny...and sad. The only criterion as to what constitutes "real" brewing--to me--is this: how does it taste? When I first did BIAB and produced beer I couldn't distinguish from that made with a traditional mash tun, it was patently clear to me: BIAB is real brewing. The proof is in the beer it produces.

I agree with you--to a point. Yeah, you can make beer with loosey-goosey brewing processes, but I think brewers are better served by trying to eliminate process errors, at least as much as possible at the outset. When I taught my buddy all-grain and he had a taste of that beer he brewed (with my kibbitzing), his reaction was "Wow!" And he was hooked. With a new brewer, I want that first taste of their first beer to be exactly that--WOW!

It's been on the decline, but I'm wondering if we're seeing a bottoming-out. Some of the decline, I'm sure, has been people preferring to buy craft beer rather than taking the time to brew it themselves. And maybe the newer automatic systems will reduce the effort involved and keep more people at it.

While I'm extremely new to the hobby, I think the ease of transitioning from successful and simple extract kits to all grain using biab with very little extra cash (and physical space) involved is a huge part of what hooked me. I'm ignorant to when the biab concept really took off, but I can see that being a huge returning factor if it wasn't really on the table for a brewer 10-20 years ago. Again, I have little to nothing to compare it against, but was brewing software as readily available? I dredge up a lot of old posts and online articles during intense, late night, half-cocked google searches, and it seems that the process has gotten a heck of a lot simpler, with much improved, easily found equipment and ingredients. I've given samples to acquittances that brewed (and have since quit) decades ago and more than a few couldn't believe the beer they drank was a simple 15 minute extract pale ale. While there are definitely some serious advanced techniques, a guy can make a case of damn good beer with a 5G kettle, a bag, and the brew ingredients.

I had always sworn off brewing until this year when my wife randomly bought me some things and just kinda said "Try it, you'll like it. I know you." And I did. But my only other experience in making beer was helping a friend make some super sketchy counter top beer in a milk carton in about 2005. I can't recall the name or the packaging, but I imagine it was some fly by night company that no longer exists. It was the single worst beer I had drank, and that includes the 12 pack of pigs eye we found in a road ditch when I was 15.

I asked a friends dad why he had quit brewing while we ran into each other at a wedding a couple weeks back. He replied that he always brewed about once every 6 weeks. Then he skipped a brew, then the one after that. Then, suddenly, it was a year later and he still hadn't brewed. He made it sound like, for him, brewing was one of those hobbies that just fell off the map after he skipped a couple times. I find it hard to understand that feeling, but maybe I'll get there in a few years haha.

I read a lot of things about the state of the economy, joblessness, people being able to make ends meet, and there seems to be a bifurcating economy--lots of people doing well, but maybe just as many doing poorly. Lots of indicators right now that we're heading into another recession, which would be one possible reason for an uptick in people returning to homebrewing.

There is something to that. Weird trends follow recessions.

Part of the reason that stopped brewing was that there was just so much good commercial beer around...both local breweries and bottle shops.

While craft beer has always been lacking in my rural area, and grocery stores in my state don't sell alcohol, I wish I could remember when I started to notice variety. I always scoffed at the weird cans and bottle labels when I'd walk through as I excitedly reached for a case of Busch light and a bottle of Windsor. Oh, the beers I left behind...

I sympathize. Back in the days before BIAB was an acronym, I had the brilliant idea that I could throw some base grain in with my specialty grains in a bigger nylon bag, add a sacc rest, and step up from extract brewing to PMing.

I had an argument with someone on here insisting I was just “steeping” because it was in an bag and not a mash tun.

Another returning brewer checking in. I wasn't planning on getting out of the hobby about 4 years ago, but I left my partner and moved into a tiny apartment. All the beer and wine making things had to go since they wouldn't fit, and I couldn't drink that much all by myself.

Now a few years later I'm back into a house with enough space and have enough people to drink what I make. But in the non-brewing years I was still making cheese and fermenting things; I think we brewers are makers at heart and have to fill that need with something, even if it isn't brewing.

I vaguely recall that BIAB was just becoming a thing as I was exiting the hobby. Since then it's grown a lot, and that definitely influenced my decision to start again.

I started brewing in 1991 and stopped around 2001. While I enjoyed sharing my beers I wasn't enjoying the process of making them. I also started playing a lot more golf at the time and it was hard to justify spending one day on the weekend brewing and the other on the golf course.

I got back in around 2010 and spent time tuning my process and equipment and it made the day more enjoyable. One of the biggest things I found after I came back was fermcap which allowed me to walk away from my kettle and clean during the boil so I would have to spend hours cleaning after I was done.

I've recently built an electric brewery and that's made it even better. Everything is right at hand including my SS sink and no more running up and down the basement steps. I more excited than ever about brewing!

Like others have said, life can get in the way. I started about 10 years ago, brewed for a little over 6. Then I moved into a small one bedroom apartment with my wife in North Jersey and it just wasn't feasible.
How small? I figured out how to brew while living with my wife in a former school bus of less than 300 square feet.

Back