serving beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
am i really the only one that's ever thought to serve beans like this? (navy bean flour mixed with vital wheat gluten, puffed in the oven for a spinach sandwich!

1632515282074.png

granted not the best puff, but one out of the 4 is HUGE! wish i knew how to get them all that way!

Most misleading title evah! :thumbsup:
I had no idea one could make flour out of beans. What does something like that actually taste like - aside from the spinach you stuffed it with?

Cheers!

I had no idea one could make flour out of beans. What does something like that actually taste like

when i first started living off beans, i ate bean soup lunch and dinner....i got really sick of bean soup after a year...and dropped $250 on a wondermill, now i grind them to flour with it, works quick, then mix it with gluten so i can make yeast leavened stuff with them, that was 12 years ago. beans haven't gotten boring again! and i still get a week's worth for $1.50.....

as far as taste....it takes getting used to, and hit and miss. red bean cinamon rolls are pretty good, split pea noodles in chicken broth with curry powder is good...

but i've had a craving for navy bean pita spinach sandwich for a couple years now....so it should be good...

(i also make wheat germ crackers, and eat them with salsa, lol :mug:)

Yum. Looks great.

with bean flour, it's kinda beany...i'm still trying to figure out how to get the gluten hold good enough, long enough, to pump more air in...because then i think it would lighten the flavor enough, to actually be delisously healthy, and fun....but i started that quest 11 years ago, and still working on it.

i'm not vegatarian, but don't know why no vegans or such haven't had an idea like this before me, and figure it out! :mug:

(speaking of that, a couple slices of canadian bacon in there with the spinach would probably be good too! thanks! ;))

lol! There goes the "healthful" bit :D

a bit of extra protein isn't bad? :mug:

We’ve used psyllium husk fiber as a gf binder with moderate success. At least the fiber intake is a bit higher.

think i tried that many years ago....doesn't work for yeast if i remember. maybe i'll try again...best strategy i've found is adding like 56gs of yeast to a pound of flour and get it to rise in 10 minutes, and into the oven as fast as possible.... :mug:

Maybe instead of yeast you should be using baking soda/baking powder?

i need to knead the dough to get the gluten to form, so the baking powder would be mostly used up by oven time....

after 11 years, i've tried everything i can think of! i've tried getting the dough wet, and heating it to a higher temp, then kneading, hoping if it's an enzyme in the bean flour breaking down the gluten, it would be denatured, i've tried alcohol, dough conditioner. i don't know what it is, it seems like an enzyme, because the gluten holds up for like 45-60 minutes, but then just starts breaking down on me.....

(i really do dream of nice and light split pea sandwich loaf, ham & cheese sandwich!)

A cursory look around strongly suggests it's all about the stark lack of gluten that precludes "fluffiness".
I reckon you need to find the most glutinous grain to add to get where you want...

Cheers!

Personally hadn't seen this one (chickpea flour I think I have seen but not used myself) Pretty cool and looks good! So is it mainly for the protein and low cost? I don't think you'd be saving money necessarily bulk flour vs. bulk beans but maybe I know you are very frugal.

Do you eat lentils?

Do you eat lentils?

like they were going out of style! ;) or it was cool? how ever that saying works?

yeah, low cost protein. eating beans the way i do weekly grocerys run me about $10. or $60-80 a month, depending how much fun i want to have.

besan is good, the best tasting of the bean flours, but not the best nutritionally wise. according to the USDA nutrient db anyway...

i prefer navy beans for pita pockets, lentils make decent noodles, and sandwich bread. but they don't have as light a flavor as navy beans.

(lol, i've tried making cakes with navy beans too, that wasn't 'takes some getting used too'...navy bean cake was out right dissgusting...just imagine eating raw dry beans! :( i had high hopes for it though! lol)

Great northerns are on the mild side too, little bigger though. Pintos might go good in a sandwich bread. I have used a lot of different beans but never for flour. I looked to see if I missed any and there's adzuki beans which I've bought maybe once. Says they are sometimes used in sweets and baking. And then cranberry beans, I've never bought, says they are creamy.

I like all the lentils and the red ones the most I'd say. The yellow ones are good in Indian dahl.

I'm kind of souped out at the moment myself because I planted kale, collards, and swiss chard and soup is usually the first thing that comes up for those.

I'm kind of souped out at the moment myself because I planted kale, collards, and swiss chard and soup is usually the first thing that comes up for those.

that's something else lentils are good for! bao bun kale filling! i make the bao dough with the lentil flour/gluten mixture, then food proccese the kale with chilli powder and chedder chese then steam, serve with soy dipping sauce...damn good!

edit: oh, and some better than bullion beef beef base.....

Forgive the observation - and my wife would disagree - but I'd firmly plant "kale, collards and swiss chard".
And I mean that literally.
As in compostables.

Cheers! :D

I forgot to mention that leafy greens are high in folate and help keep the brain healthy!

🤪

i usually eat 14 grams of active dry yeast, to keep my folate up...

(you just gave me an idea/question, is there a non-toxic, room temp way to autolyse the yeast trub in a batch of beer, to release the b-vitamins into the beer?)

Back