Set it and Forget It on Smaller Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
ive always brewed and kegged 5 gallon batches. I use the set it and forget it method to carbonate. Over the past year I’ve been buying some smaller kegs (1 gallon, 2.5 gallons). When using the set it and forget it method does volume matter or do I just same method as I’ve been using (a chart to figure current psi based on temp and what I want my final carb level to be)?

I use mostly 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs. Volume seems irrelevant with respect to those charts; that is, the chart still applies. Mine are set to 12 psi at 40F.

The time it takes to reach equilibrium will be shorter with less volume into which you dissolve CO2, but the same pressure/temp charts apply.

The time it takes to reach equilibrium will be shorter with less volume into which you dissolve CO2, but the same pressure/temp charts apply.

This makes sense. So now with my stone it takes 20-24hrs for a 5 gal one so I guess my 3 gal would be ready in 12-14 hrs. Up to now I use my smaller kegs to transfer beer to make the big keg available for the next one. My keezer can hold two 5 gals and one 3gal or less. But soon I plan to do smaller batches to experiment.

Back