short mead recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bismarkarek

Reaction score
I need a really quick short mead recipe that isn't BOMM because i cant get my hands on the wyeast 1388 from it here. please help i need this mead to be ready for drinking by at at the absolute most July of this year (2015).:confused:

Who on this forum *DOESN'T* need emergency mead (or beer, or braggot, or....)

Isn't anyone the least bit curious why he needs an emergency mead? I know I am. :)
as for why i need it I am in an entrepreneurial class and want to make a real meadery as my business and so i need to have some mead that is ready to drink by at least July for investors and my classmates to taste test.

That is a harsh thing to do quick and get investors really interested. A sweet hydromel is your best bet at something quick. Once you stabilize get the gravity up to the 1.020 mark. That both masks any harsh young mead flavors and speaks to the public's general preconceived notions of mead. People expect a mead to be sweeter and taste of honey. Even though we all know grape wine tastes nothing like grape juice. So unless the mead is super amazing in its individual quality, then making something that is closer to a demographics pre-conceived notion rather than surprising them will generally get a better overall response.

I would love to own a meadery down the line as well. But I am going the long route. First make an apiary so all the honey you use is free after your upfront cost is returned.

Bishmarek, where are you based? There might be another forum member nearby who would be willing to do a trade with you.
As far as a Mead that could be ready quickly that isn't BOMM, your best bet is probably MAOM or JAOM. I prefer MAOM, since the bread yeast in JAOM can leave it tasting harsh.

Another option would be to take one of the recipes on the forum, hit it with EC-1118, then backsweeten. The EC-1118 will chew through the sugars quick enough to get you your requisite amount of ethanol, while the backsweetening will give you that sweet honey taste.

I like HawleyFarms suggestion for a non-BOMM dry yeast mead using Red Star Cote de Blancs yeast. He used a basic mead recipe with stagger nutrient additions at the 1/3 and 2/3 sugar breaks. He said it was very good at 2.5 months. I would suggest stabilizing and back sweetening to 1.005 but that may take more time. If you like it dry it would be quicker. Would that be quick enough? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=522443

My friend in the Philippines gets his dry yeasts from Ritebrew in Wisconsin http://www.ritebrew.com. Very cheap prices on their yeast.

as far as where im located i live in Ontario Canada although im thinking about moving to Germany.
Going to need some spend-happy investor's to launch an exotic drink based business in this alcohol policed province.

Wine.. Niagara or Prince Edward? Or somewhere else?

Latest posts

Back