Should I add fresh yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbdChemist

I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
Reaction score
I have a sour that I started back in March. I'm oaking it and its almost about ready and about to bottle in a few weeks. my question is.. Should I add fresh yeast or is there enough still floating around (brett/sacc).

Background:
I tried to do a yeast starter but it didnt go well and it smelled a little lacto/sour so I added it to my sour not the initial beer and a little bit later added Concetration dredges from Russian River to just making sure it is sour. will there be enough to carb or not? I'm planning to bottle with champagne yeast. :ban:

Any help will be appriciated.
Prost!
Dustin

I have found the Brett will eventually manage to carbonate the beer, but it can take a long time.

My last 3 batches, I have used whatever yeast I have had going in a starter at that time. I take about 8 ounces of the starter and add it to the bottling bucket. Seems to do a good job, and the beer carbs in a few weeks.

I'm talking about beers that have been in fermenter for 1 to 2 years.

Back