should I still turn in my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbdChemist

I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
Reaction score
There is a competition I was planning to enter. It's free entry but this beer I was entering is way over carbonated due to fermentation problem. I love the brew and its a winner in my book but it would foam over if opened. Should I still enter it or just wait till next time.

Is it just overcarbed? Or is there a risk of bottlebombs? If it's the former, enter it. Just be aware that the judges will ding you for it, in all likelihood. If it's the latter, absolutely DO NOT send it in. Feedback isn't worth someone getting hurt, especially if you like the beer and don't require "help" pinning down a possible issue.

If I am not mistaken I think carbonation is worth 5 points on the bjcp scoresheet. You still have another 45 points available. So I say enter it. I have taken silver with a beer that was nothing more than extremely mediocre.

Could you gently pry the caps off to slowly let the carb out (to avoid foamers) and then recap. If it is greatly overcarbed you might not go too far the other way doing this. Chill it down as much as possible to help get as much CO2 absorbed in the beer before uncapping/recapping

They have been carbing for 4 weeks and non of them broke or failed so I don't think they will become bombs, hopefully. Is it a good idea to open then recap them? They foam over if I let it just sit open for a couple of seconds. Hate to not see how it does just because of over carbonation. I brewed this just for the competition.

Back