Show me a better film than Dead Man

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been waiting for Rum Diary to drop...heard about that in the making probably like 3-4 years ago...guess he got too wrapped up in Pirates 8.

I watched Dead Man a few months ago. Not bad, but not at all great IMO. I've got a film degree, so I'm no stranger to slow or out-of-the-box films, but this one failed to grab me.

As for my recommendation of a better movie -- Oldboy.

Dead Man is in my top ten of all time ( I was a film history major in college), It's an existential Western really. Very patient, but with a purpose... I thought it was a poetic masterpiece with every shot looking like an Ansel Adams photograph..... But hey, art is subjective.

What's the other?...Don Juan D'Marco?....The Tourist?....Chocolat?......naaaahhh, gotta be Blow.

Donnie Brasco, Sleepy Hollow, From Hell, and he's going to star in The Rum Diary.

I used to despise Depp, until I saw him in Ed Wood and he was brilliant. He's been near the top of my list ever since. I don't like the pirate movies, first one is okay, but he is excellent in that role.

As to the original topic, which I somehow missed when first posted, I like Dead Man. I like some other Jarmusch films, like Mystery Train, more. You really do have to be in the mood for one of his films though, pacing is quite...well, let's just say, deliberate.

I enjoyed his appearance in Fishing with John! :D

I think Dead Man is a great movie.

*spoiler alert*

Does everyone/anyone think he was dead from when he got shot?

Great movie, and Neil Young is rad.Dont remember it but i remember thinking it was one of the greats.

Big Depp fan (if you don't like it, get bent. I don't care). Ed Wood is great. He practically WAS HST in Fear and Loathing. Bought Dead Man film in the $5 bin at Wallyworld. Thought I made a huge score. I didn't. Worst thing he has ever been in (including that ridiculous thing where he is a lizard. Not that I've seen it or even know the name). I will never get that 90 min of my life back. Only movie I ever threw away. Horrible.

Back