Show me how you drain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have a pic atm, but I pull my bag, put a veggie tray for the grill over a 5 gal bucket, set the grain bag on the tray and push down on it with the lid of my pan until I can't get any more wort out.

images

Handy pot hangers over the stove gave me a perfect setup to drain the bag (in the basket). I also use a shortened HD bucket with holes in the bottom to do a slow trickle sparge through the bag.

Brew setup-2.jpg

Brew Setup 5.jpg

Brew Sparge Bottom.jpg

It's hard to see in the pic, but I have the basket from my old 7 gallon pot hanging on the side of my 11 gallon pot.

The basket is plenty big for my needs. There is more than enough space between the water line and the bottom of the basket.

0704140957a.jpg

I just have a $15 harbor freight block and tackle, with a 4x4 / eyelet that I set in my trusses. That way I can move them around depending on where I want to be at that day. Pretty cheap solution if you have open trusses.

Fortunately I only do 5 gal batches so there is not too much of a deal to strain.
Strain.jpg

Your bag- grain bag that is. Building my basement e-biab set up and installed wiring and my hood today. Besides sliding the pot over to the side, I can't figure out a good way to hook up a system to drain the grain bag ( I actually will have a bag inside a strainer pot as it is a legacy Pico Brew system- the prior Brew Boss). So, show me your set up!!

I use an 8gal pot and rest the grain bag on top of a large strainer for a minute or two. Then I transfer the strainer&bag to a separate bucket/pot to drain its lifeblood. I usually sparge in the bucket while the kettle heats up to boil temp.

Fortunately I only do 5 gal batches so there is not too much of a deal to strain.
Strain.jpg

New guy here. First post. Lol.

New to BIAB too. This is what I do as well. 5 gallon batches. I lift with the straps on the bag and set a stainless,round, BBQ grate I got from Wal-Mart for $15 on top of the kettle, and drain and squeeze the grains using pressure from the lid. Easy peasy.

nO4wtppl.jpg

No pic of me draining, but here's the grAte I bought.
l3iiwsDt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How noisy is that fan. Looks like what i need. Also do you have it on speed control? Do you just use it for boil?

I attached one to my reclaimed kitchen hood. Not as noisy as the original fan. Moves far, far more air. I didn't put it on a speed control. I just didn't see a need.
I use it just for the boil.
Thanks to @gtmaus for posting.

81HVdvDJ-kL._SX522_.jpg

^^I use a big one of these things

Same here. I put the strainer on a 16-quart pot, pull the bag manually, and put it into the strainer. I then sparge to meet my boil volume and pour the drain/sparge water into the brew kettle for boiling. It's simple as could be and probably takes 10 minutes or so for the bag to almost completely drain once I'm done sparging. As I'm draining/sparging, I put the brew kettle on the heat to start ramping up to a boil.

As the grain bills get heavier, it's a little tougher to pull the bag since it's up on my stovetop, but I can stand on a small stool and get better leverage for the bag transfer.

I attached one to my reclaimed kitchen hood. Not as noisy as the original fan. Moves far, far more air. I didn't put it on a speed control. I just didn't see a need.
I use it just for the boil.
Thanks to @gtmaus for posting.

Glad it worked out for you. I've had mine up and running for over a year and couldn't be happier with how it performs.

This was from Big Brew 2015. It just hangs on an angle iron until it drains completely as the wort comes to a boil. At first I thought it was done and that I missed my pre-boil volume (which hasn't happened before, thanks to BeerSmith), but after I set it aside into a bucket, after 20 minutes I had my missing wort. It was my first time double milling with a Corona-type bucket mill, and I think the finer husks had completely choked up the bag. If I do it again I may turn into a bag squeezer...

10985894_1074655649216087_7937344646595419102_n.jpg

When your finished squeezing, let the bag drain for another 20 minutes to get the rest of your wort :)

Friends don't let friends squeeze, let her drain peacefully :)
LOL! I'm a non-squeezer, because I like leaving the particulates in the bag. Usually it takes about 30 minutes, so the boil is just about to start when I remove the bag. This time it wasn't even close. I brew for my class next Saturday, so I'll try double milling again and tying the bag off a bit higher so the boil can start even if the bag is still draining. 82% efficiency this time, though!

What gave it away? The pool open in March or the flora and fauna?

Back