Simple collar-style keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACSlater

Reaction score
So I finally decided to take the plunge and start kegging my beers. Obviously, this means I need a way to properly chill the kegs for serving, so the game is afoot! I decided to build a small keezer, and the plan is to eventually have 3 taps. I picked up a 3 year old 5cu/ft chest freezer off Craigslist right down the road from me for $60. I also picked up a 5 gallon converted ball lock keg from Keg Connection for $65 delivered to my door. I thought the rest of the parts were going to take me quite awhile to aquire (since I'm house poor - new homeowner issues), but on Monday I managed to finally sell a welder I've had up for sale for 3 years, so the ordering commenced immediately afterward!

The next item I ordered was a 7lb reconditioned CO2 cylinder from Beverage Elements. I couldn't say no to $45 shipped. Next up was a 2-tap complete fridge kit from Keg Connection. I paid for a couple of logical upgrades, like a Taprite regulator, an actual air distributor and a faucet wrench. Next up was a 3 gallon pin lock keg from AIH, plus the bits to convert it to ball lock from Amazon. At the same time, I also ordered an Inkbird STC1000, a drip tray and a growler filler.

I don't have any pictures yet for 2 reasons: 1) I only have the 5 gallon keg and the freezer so far and 2) I'm at work. (Sssshhhhh! I'm not supposed to be doing personal internet browsing on company time! :cross: ) I'll post updates as parts start to come in and work commences, and I may even toss in a few pictures of my el cheapo fermentation chamber. Cheers!

Awesome! Looking forward to the pictures! I love KegConnection placed quite a few orders there when getting my keg system together, great products, and customer service.

Very much looking forward to following this. You're a step ahead of me as I'm going to kegging but have not yet acquired the freezer (or other components, less a keg). Your parts sourcing was solid and helpful. Cheers.

Came home today to find packages on the doorstep. Christmas before Labor Day! YaY! Some photos of the gear I've aquired so far. In order of appearance - GE 5ft² chest freezer (clean!), 5 gallon converted ball lock corny, 3 gallon pin lock corny (parts on the way to convert to ball lock) and a 7lb CO2 cylinder. The first setup photo shows that there's (just!) enough room to fit two pin lock corny kegs on the floor, while the second shows where the 3 gallon will sit when it's all set up. The plan is to eventually have two 5 gallon converted kegs on the floor with regular batches, and fill the 3 gallon corny with experimental brews, e.g. apple cider, root beer, hard grape soda (It's a possibility, right?!), who knows. The plan is to wait until the Keg Connection kegerator kit arrives so I can measure out exactly how tall the CO2 cylinder/regulator assembly is before I buy materials to build the collar. I'd like to keep it as low as possible for lifting/cleaning purposes, as I'm not a tall guy by any stretch of the imagination. More pics will follow as the gear continues to arrive. Cheers!

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

More presents on the doorstep when I got home! My fridge style kegerator kit arrived from Keg Connection. Looks good so far. I included an image of a homebrewed Belgian...zoinks!

I found out the hard way a major problem with collars; when the freezer dies, you may not be able to find another freezer that fits. My old one was 24x24, all the new ones are a little wider and not as deep. So, I'm rebuilding the system with a coffin.

If this one dies, I'll just build a new collar for the next one. I do some amateur woodworking, so I've got plenty of wood easy to hand.

Working on a collar now, but I need to get the hardware. Probably tomorrow. Cut out 1x6 pieces of white walnut (A.K.A. butternut) for the collar. With a little light colored stain and some varnish, the collar should look awesome when finished.

Parts came in to convert the 3 gallon keg from pin lock to ball lock today. Very simple conversion, and I replaced the post o-rings while I was at it, since the originals were pretty shredded. As an aside, after opening the keg for the first time (after depressurizing it, of course...) I came to a DEFINITE conclusion as to which keg vendor I prefer, and the answer is Keg Connection, hands down. The price for both kegs was excellent, but KC took it a step further. The 3 gallon keg from AIH came with all new o-rings, but it was filthy and had about ¾ cup of old cola in the bottom. The converted 5 gallon keg I received from KC had already had all new o-rings installed, and came with another full new set in addition to that. It had already been cleaned with PBW as well, and the interior was spotless. Kudos to KC for superior attention to detail!

Sorry it's been awhile since I updated this. Things get in the way of building, much as we might wish otherwise. :)

Got a little more done over the past couple of days. Collar is built, adhered to the freezer and the taps are mounted. As you can see from the closeup, I have a spot marked for the third tap when I can afford it, probably over the winter.I'll need to buy some woodscrews to mount the hinges, and I still need to cut a hole for the controller and mount and wire it, but it's almost done! I know it's not overly impressive, but it'll get the job done. :mug:

Things to do for the future: longer liquid lines, computer fan to circulate air, possibly SS Perlick faucets (if I'm feeling wealthy...).

DSC_0131_zpsu9qddkwf.jpg

DSC_0132_zpsxezilxh9.jpg

Still need to wire it and fill the kegs, but it looks pretty good in its new home. :D
DSC_0136_zpsy6b8w6kj.jpg

Nice job! Simple and practical.

I have a very similar 5 cu ft freezer that I use as a ferm chamber, and am planning to add a collar so I can set two 6 gallon carboys inside. Right now, I can fit a 6 and a 3 gallon, with the 3 on the hump.

Back