Small Batch eBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any manufacturer out there who makes a small batch eBIAB system? I move my brewing indoors during the winter months and make 2.5 gallon BIAB batches on my kitchen stove. While brewing yesterday I couldn't help thinking how much easier it would be to hit and maintain mash temps if I had a smaller electric system like the bigger one out in my garage. I have no interest in building one btw.

You can put one together pretty easy. I have a Sous Vide heater off Amazon for about $100, a 24 quart induction capable stock pot for $60 from Walmart, and an induction burner off amazon for $89. I mash using the Sous Vide heater which has its own little circulating impeller. After Mash I use the induction cooktop to get it to boiling - takes about 20 minutes. Works really well for 2.5 to 3 gallon batches. You really are not building one just using readily available components.

Anvil Foundry 6.5 gallon system.

If I didn’t have a bunch already invested in my system for making 2.5gal batches, this is what I would go with. It’s designed for 2.5-3.5gal batches. Definitely check it out. 110v or 220v with the flip of a switch for extra power. Way cool to me.

As mentioned, the Anvil Foundry 6.5 gal version seems the best value in a market with few options. The Braumeister 10L model is considerably more expensive, but it's awesome and the design is proven in Europe over several years.

I switched my entire brewing exclusively to 2.5 gallon output, and couldn't be happier with that choice.

As mentioned, the Anvil Foundry 6.5 gal version seems the best value in a market with few options. The Braumeister 10L model is considerably more expensive, but it's awesome and the design is proven in Europe over several years.

I switched my entire brewing exclusively to 2.5 gallon output, and couldn't be happier with that choice.

I made that switch about 6 years ago and have been very happy with the decision. I get to brew more often and have covered far more styles and variants than I would have if I had stuck with 5 gallon batches. So the decision to go with the 6.5 gal Anvil was really a easy one to make. I toyed with getting the 10.5 and still brewing my 10 liter batches, but after talking with John Blichmann and several of the people at the Anvil booth at Homebrew Con this past June, I chose not to invest in the larger unit only to be running it at the bottom most level of its capabilities.

As for the Anvil product, the plus side covers the compact nature, ease of use and controls, double layer body construction, and the dual power capability. On the negative side is the feet on the malt pipe are a bit fragile, the controls are bottom mounted so you really need to elevate the unit some to be able to access them, and the recirculation restriction is a bit coarse. I will probably work at a valve on the output side of the pump so that I can better control the recirculation rate when I get a chance. I saw a lot of users with issues around the second manufacturing run with construction quality, but Blichmann/Anvil has been very, very good at addressing problems right away.

Other than that, I have the first generation and I know that they have made steady improvements as they learn more about how people are using the devices to improve the construction.

Like everyone else, I'll recommend the Anvil Foundry 6.5 gal. I just did my first run on the new, second generation version on Sunday and it went great. I've been stove-top BIABing my 2.5 gal batches for years now, and the switch was even better than I had anticipated. I didn't spring for the re-circulation pump etc. but still managed to hit above my expected efficiency.

One thing I will mention is that I ended up installing a 240v outlet near my kitchen just for the Foundry. The difference in time to mash temp or boil strength was very noticeable after my initial time test with just water on 120v. I would highly recommend going the 240v route, even if it means making an extension cable. Well worth the extra cost.

Just brewed my first batch on the Anvil 6.5. Haven’t switched to 240 yet. Time to get to mash temp and boil temp were better than expected with 120 volt: 3 gallons mash in at 157 was 21 minutes, that was from faucet temperature with well water. . Time from mash in to boil was 23 minutes with a 1 gallon sparge at 170’ish. Boil off was higher than advertised at 1 gallon but I did run it on 100% start to finish. I recirculated the wort with a solar hot water heater pump resulting in A mildly stuck sparge. Approximately 2.5 gallons went into the fermenter. Clean up was easy. No burnt wort. The only issue was having to pay close attention to my fabricated solar hot water pump. That’s more of a self-inflicted wound. I have ordered the stainless spout and screen from Anvil to add to my pump set up. I used a c-clamp to control flow but think a ball valve on the discharge side would be a more elegant solution .

Back